Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Talk me into a GMC 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehh, tires are tires to me. I had pretty much assumed that I would be using them on the GMC as well.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't get the GMC, the Chevys are proven to be faster!
Old 05-26-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000_Silverado_SS
Don't get the GMC, the Chevys are proven to be faster!
No the 4.8's step side's are proven to be faster.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigbadblack93z
I want to do it w/o getting in to the motor and w/o spray. I'm running high 13's on motor right now w/ a cold air kit and a muffler.
Quite impossible! I've got all the bolt-ons and am no where near the 13's.

Put k&n, programmer, and the spray on it and that will put you deep in the mid 13's easily. Don't waste your money on anything else!
But, since you don't want to put the NOS on it, you'd better buy the Lightning.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Toe
TECH Regular

The tires is what is making the huge difference for him on his hemi. Just going from the stock 20's to the stock 17's yields you .3 or .4 in the 1/4 mile. That and you can launch at 2000rpm's and not spin with the slicks, a rpm where the hemi starts to make its power.

Just my 2 cents on why he is in the high 13's.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Exactly why Toe,
I like the truck I have but I really want to pocket the $10k difference in price on the trucks and still have about the same out come.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone done the 6L intake swap they talked about in the new chevy HI-Perf issue?
??

If 13's were so easy than we wouldn't have hardly anyone in the 14's and 15's on the list.

with an intake/long tubes/catback and a hypertech tune on my stock generals on just a 2-4 hotchkis drop I ran 14.4 with the slower 99 model.
I also had an electric fan and underdrive crank pulley.

All the rest of the stuff I have done now is extra. For looks and performance.
the stall and built tranny was worth 4/10's bringing me to 14.0 but I had to invest in traction bars and drag radials.
I havn't ran it since my new tune and new cam so I'm hoping 13's.

If your not going to build it somewhat decent which costs some $ than don't build it at all. I'm not just looking to go fast I want it to handle/look good and not fall apart.
granted a homemade intake cutout and a decent tune would prolly equal what I have done on a 02 so If that floats your boat than go for it.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:10 PM
13 Second Truck Club

hell i should see 12's by july
Old 05-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Launching!

"If your not going to build it somewhat decent which costs some $ than don't build it at all. I'm not just looking to go fast I want it to handle/look good and not fall apart."

Why would you assume that I wouldn't build it somewhat decent? I've been working on high hp LS1's for a while and I'm tired of cracking the valve covers. I wanted to do a true bolt on build up and pull some 13's. Yes it can be done w/ a cam and mild head work on an otherwise stock truck but why not get a solid base to start w/?
I mean I've got a set of Agostino Stage 3 LS6 heads and an ASA Ls6 hot cam I could shove in it but it would run like crap on the street right, where's the fun in that?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

"Why would you assume that I wouldn't build it somewhat decent? I've been working on high hp LS1's for a while and I'm tired of cracking the valve covers. I wanted to do a true bolt on build up and pull some 13's. Yes it can be done w/ a cam and mild head work on an otherwise stock truck but why not get a solid base to start w/?
I mean I've got a set of Agostino Stage 3 LS6 heads and an ASA Ls6 hot cam I could shove in it but it would run like crap on the street right, where's the fun in that?
I was making a general statement. I wasn't directing it toward you. I'm sure you will build something decent, I have just seen some thrown together crap thats fast but it doesn't hold up and looks right up there with some of the ricer junk.

As for the second part you have already answered your own question. I think you have talked yourself into a gmc 5.3. Mod to Mod I beleive you will gain more with the GMC and look alot better doing it. Isn't that important too?

So get started.I think you will find atleast 1 person here who has tried every mod out there to comment on it. So certainly with this site were not going to let you waste your money on truck stuff.

I agree with you on this-"Why not get a solid base to begin with" I have been doing that with this POS for 5 years. I started with the Tranny and rearend first so I would get it out of the way. Also the suspension tires and Traction. The truck is completely ready for a charger if only I could afford it.
I have done just about every useful bolt on out there and finally installed an eaton posi, built tranny and now cam/springs and rods. I havn't run it since the cam So I can't say I'm 13's.

I'm saying to do it right it's going to cost you unless you find stuff used and have good luck.

Quick Reply: Talk me into a GMC 5.3