Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Taylor Thundervolt 50 plug wires tested

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I have the Taylor 10/4's myself and they run better than the stockers by far... even with my colder plugs (TR6's)
They run better than stock? By what do you mean by that?

Jim
Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
to be honest I just bought them on a whim, for a little bling factor I guess. Now I'm glad I did, even if just for that extra little measure, although there's nothing little about the difference between 35ohms and 950ohms
Hey guys, I don't want to rain on your parade but you may want to do a little more research before concluding that low resistance equals a better plug wire.

Think about this; An ohm meter puts out 1 volt DC when performing the resistance test - what do you think happens when the ignition coil is pushing 45,000 volts through the wire? Do you think the current passes through the wire or over it? And what about RFI?

All I'm suggesting is, make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

I stumbled onto this website recently (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm) which explains some of the physics involved. I'm always suspicious when a producer of spark plug wires is providing this info but I understand a little about basic electricity and electronics and the technical info on the website is sound. And I have yet to find similarly extensive background information on the websites of other manufacturers. I wonder why... (?)

There's probably more technical info on this website than most will want to read but as they say, "forewarned is forelegged" (or something to that effect...)

Food for thought.

Happy reading.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ngianop
Hey guys, I don't want to rain on your parade but you may want to do a little more research before concluding that low resistance equals a better plug wire.

Think about this; An ohm meter puts out 1 volt DC when performing the resistance test - what do you think happens when the ignition coil is pushing 45,000 volts through the wire? Do you think the current passes through the wire or over it? And what about RFI?

All I'm suggesting is, make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

I stumbled onto this website recently (http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm) which explains some of the physics involved. I'm always suspicious when a producer of spark plug wires is providing this info but I understand a little about basic electricity and electronics and the technical info on the website is sound. And I have yet to find similarly extensive background information on the websites of other manufacturers. I wonder why... (?)

There's probably more technical info on this website than most will want to read but as they say, "forewarned is forelegged" (or something to that effect...)

Food for thought.

Happy reading.
no doubt theres more to it than the 5 min I have invested, do with it what you will

Last edited by moregrip; 11-22-2006 at 10:45 PM.