Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TB Bypass frozen blade story

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TB Bypass frozen blade story

Wasn't sure...performance or general thread. It's a mod...an engine mod...so I amposting it here. Move as needed.

Had to drive quiet a few miles this morn up rt70 to columbia,md from frederick (for those MD guys)...I have the TB bypass. I had cruise set on 75mph and thermo in the mirror said 11 degrees. Had my 10yr ole boy, my dad, and my mom. (my boy had a early mornin hockey game). I was a few miles from my exit for rt29 and noticed that cruise control isn't letting off. That's a weird feeling...it's givin just enough throttle to keep it at 75 and then all of sudden we are at 78...80...85....yikes!!!! I turned cruise off (first thought was bad cruise) and it kept going....holy **** yikes!!! Didn't want to freak out my mom, so I said with low voice...throttle is stuck. Dad says in calm voice...that's not good. LOL I love that guy. I hit the brakes hard and brought it to a stop on the shoulder and turned it off. Popped the hood and snapped the blade a few times. LOL Thaaaaat was freaky.

As most know the TB bypass is to keep the tb warm enough as so it doesn't freeze. I have read quiet a few threads of people always saying they have never had a problem and live in the freezing cold 8months of the year. It's not the temp outside....it's how long you drive at highway speeds in the cold. That blade is being subjected to 11 degree air PLUS the speed of that air passing it for over 30 miles. It stuck! Am i gonna change it back?...eh probably not. I don't often have to travel far distances in 11* weather and constant speed.

But here is a thread of tb bypass causing a freeze....in maryland of all places. Okay every one back to work!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Humidy probably plays a factor as well. Cold air is usually quite dry but a cold snap might get you a little higher humidity than usual.

You did a fine job of keeping it all under control. Nice to hear that every one of those important passengers is safe.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:25 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

well you didn't say what your mom said lol haahha wtf are slamming on the breaks for.

I bet that was a scary feeling. Glad everyone is ok.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Glad to hear all is well. You're not going to try to get me to cover the throttle body under warranty are ya? You can't prove it was the one from the motor you bought from me!
Old 02-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Glad to hear all is well. You're not going to try to get me to cover the throttle body under warranty are ya? You can't prove it was the one from the motor you bought from me!
lol...cody (01slow) ended up with the TB. I kept my old one...already bolted on the radix.

Mom...was like,"why we stopping?". I had to push those brakes hard once i got down to 15mph...she(truck) didn't want stop.

The passengers are what kinda what gave me the *****'s you know..."oh crap...got my whole family in here...my wife is gonna be one rich bitch if this ends bad!!!!!"

Last edited by dewmanshu; 02-19-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I had a return spring break on a carb. once....it's freaky for a minute or two! I ultimately popped it in neutral and turned the key off, but I know the feeling. It's enough to get you heart rate going that's for sure. Good for Cardio tho.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I had done the TB bypass a while back. Got some really weird surging when I had my truck in the parking lot on a really cold day, about 10-15 degrees as I recall.
I un did it and never saw the surging again. The 2.2 hpat 600rpm just is not worth it IMO.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

If your TB is seeing 11*F temps at idle (in a perfect world with no heat soaking from the engine) and the temp. outside stays steady it will still see 11*F while driving. The temp. wont change.... now to you it might feel different its the whole idea behind wind chill, its more or less a relative feel of the evaporation rate of moisture on your skin. So your problem wasn't based solely on the temperature. But what could have happened is moisture or condensation could have built up at any point in time when you slowed down and allowed the TB to become heat soaked. Once you got back up to speed and set the cruise the underhood temps. could then have dropped low enough to freeze the moisture. I've been running the TB bypass mod for years and have never had an issue and that includes a 5 1/2 hour trek through snowy 0-5*F weather non-stop.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

thats not the first thread ive seen about the tb freezing with the bypass. thats why i normally tell people its not recomended where temps get below freezing when i explain how the mod is done. glad you kept a cool head.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i have been doing alot of hwy driving (about 50 miles each way) this week and never had the problem. it has been about -4 or so all weekend and still no problems. But like you said it dosnt get everyone.

Quick Reply: TB Bypass frozen blade story