Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TB Bypass frozen blade story

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I had done the TB bypass a while back. Got some really weird surging when I had my truck in the parking lot on a really cold day, about 10-15 degrees as I recall.
I un did it and never saw the surging again. The 2.2 hpat 600rpm just is not worth it IMO.
same opinion here. for the miniscule(sp?) gain it's not worth having the throttle hanging and wrecking my truck.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Reminds me of a story...I was riding with my brother in his 1971 bronco a few years back going down a straight stretch of highway coming up on a stoplight intersection. He lets off of the gas and nothing happens, so we figure broken return spring or stuck throttle, but the accelerator pedal wont pull back either. With four wheel drum brakes and 33" tires, there's no way to get the thing slowed down in time with the motor working against us, so I come up with the bright idea of killing the ignition. Let's just say when 750 cfm of unburned fuel hits uncoated headers at full temperature, you get some mighty impressive backfiring. Blew both mufflers apart quite completely

Turned out the air cleaner stud had vibrated loose and wedged the butterflies open on the carb.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

The effect on a wet maifold system is much different than a dry manifold like our GenIII engines.
Look at snowmobiles for example, the older models with carbeuretors had coolant lines running through the carbs to prevent icing. The evaporation and flow of fuel through a carb can lower the temp below ambient. Also look at the effect of running a engine on the rich side VS lean side, it will run cooler because of this effect.
I'm not a rocket scientist but I think I'm right on this.
Trying to find something on wind chill and its effect on metal, I thought there was a study done on this.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my throttle blades stick on my circle track race car one time., i was goin into turn 3 and let off the gas and it didnt come back well it it was already too late and i went airborn off turn 3 at 90 mph
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Didn't want to freak out my mom, so I said with low voice...throttle is stuck. Dad says in calm voice...that's not good. LOL
LMAO
Glad to hear it all turned out O.K

Thats why I don't have a intercooler. lol There is no way that throtle body is getting stuck with 150+ IAT's. J/K I real dont have the throttle body bypass done.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think my Vortech heats things up enough that I'm safe.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
The effect on a wet maifold system is much different than a dry manifold like our GenIII engines.
Look at snowmobiles for example, the older models with carbeuretors had coolant lines running through the carbs to prevent icing. The evaporation and flow of fuel through a carb can lower the temp below ambient. Also look at the effect of running a engine on the rich side VS lean side, it will run cooler because of this effect.
I'm not a rocket scientist but I think I'm right on this.
Trying to find something on wind chill and its effect on metal, I thought there was a study done on this.
I am with the naysayers...it's not worth the $, risk, and almost your time(10 minutes) it my opinion either...a friend of mine sold his silvy and had in the bag brand new the "kit" from somebody he bought for a few bucks. What the hell I say! I actually truelly forgot all about the damn thing! LOL It's not rocket science really...LOL stick your tongue on a 11 degree metal pole. LOL Add 300cfm wind chill and you have a very cold surface just waiting for moisture.

Yeh wilde...I got a chuckle out of pops...something about a vietnam war guy who loves fishing, hunting, and driving fast!!! Calm as you can be. I might mention one of my mods that's not in my sig is those huge Brembo brakes. 4 pistons and slotted/drilled rotors...she didn't have a chance...she was stopping!!!