Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TBSS Intake Swap onto 06' Silverado L33?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBSS Intake Swap onto 06' Silverado L33?

I want to make a definitive swap thread. If there is one that covers it from top to bottom with all the parts you need then point me to it. I have read alot on it but just get confused by the end.

I ordered a bare manifold that is being ported. I am going to run the LS3 car TB that is also being ported. I guess I need that one so the TB blade opens the correct way. I have read that you need the TBSS fuel rail and EV6 injectors. But you need to run some sort of fuel pressure regulator if you run the TBSS fuel rail. I am guessing that the truck FP is regulated in the rail not the tank like the TBSS. I have stock LS7 injectors that I am assuming are EV6 injectors. Will those fit/work? Is there a way to modify the stock fuel rail to work with EV6 injectors and fit over the TBSS intake? Sounds like I need a plug adapter for the injectors and a plug adapter for the LS3 TB. I know Caspers makes adapter for the car conversions to LS2 90mm TB's from LS1 cars. I have heard about an X-Link but seems that people couldn't find them. I think I just read that I need a LS6 Valley tray or the guy just put one on for fun and listed it as a mod. So what is the real deal? A solid list would be nice and could probably be made into a sticky. Seems like a bunch of guys are doing this or want to.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

I'm also going to put a tbss intake on my 05 so hoping for some good info
Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

I gave up on mine. Let me know what you come up with.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think as long as the injector height is the same as the trailblazer injectors, they will work. I'm pretty sure you'll need pigtails to make the injectors work with the harness.

If you have a return style fuel system, you can run a corvette fuel filter on the fuel rails. If it's a returnless system, I think it will all plug right up.

Just throwing what I did out there. I went with ls1 style, billet rails from summit. The injector spacing is different from the tbss intake rails. So I made up some brackets from angled aluminum from home depot and mounted them to the intake. I bought some an fittings, flex hose, and plumbed it all up. I used an AEM FPR on the passenger side of the intake. I'll try to get a pic or two of it posted up again later, if you want. It looks a lot better than the factory rails. It's not a real cheap way to do it though.

X-link isn't hard to find. Google Dr. X link. Not sure if its a sponsor. It's what I'm running with the 87mm truck tb. Supposedly, there is a harness adapter from GM that will make the new style tb work with the old style harness. I don't have a pn though.

Its a worth while mod. I made good power with mine. Even after buying everything, including the an fittings; it was still cheaper than getting an old 78mm fast intake.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...9-02-a-459296/

mit help a little bit even tho its for 99-02
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

It just seemed to be getting really expensive and I still needed to get the fuel rails and what not. The injector adapters I found Delphi to EV6 are $11 or so each plus shipping. I googled the crap out of the Dr. X link and didn't come up with much but they seem to be $250 or so. You still need a TB from a LS3 (which I was going to get for free) and like mentioned, if you have a return style you need even more stuff. The intake it's self is pretty cheap. I sent it to my porter and he said it was all jacked up inside and would need a lot of work. But his stuff is like magic so it would have been worth it. Still a pretty large investment for what you get in the end. You are half way to a KB turbo by the time you are done. I think I could get the same power out of a U/D pulley and EWP. But if you want to stay N/A and it is your last mod then it is probably worth it especially if you get a complete used set up. I think I am just going to go FI on a bigger motor so I will hold off for now.

It also seems that to run a FAST you would still need all this stuff. I think there needs to be a part by part detailed list with manufactures and prices along with intall instructions as a sticky since there are a bunch of guys doing this swap.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't port the intake. Id look for a used fast 90 or 92, before I had the tbss intake ported. The fast would still be a little more money, but will out perform a ported stock intake. Like I said, my truck made good power with the intake in stock form.

Like you said. Good thing about spending the money to making the intake work is you lay the ground work to upgrade to a fast.

I googled, "dr. x xlink" and the site came right up. I'd post the link, but I don't want to deal with any bullshit. I'm not sure if they are a sponsor.

I hate my efans, no way Id run a ewp also. Just not worth the power bump, imo.

If you're thinking fi, I say run the 78. Quite a few people drop a ton of cash on the intake on a FI setup. IMO, the money could be better spent. But honestly, if you think the cash to run this intake is a lot; it isn't **** when going boosted.

If you change your mind, lmk if you want any pictures of the intake on the engine.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

I am with you on all that. My point was that if you spent the the money on (new)Injectors, TB, Intake, Rails, X-link, Injector Clips and so on. You are close to $1,400 with a TBSS intake. You would be well over half the cost to a KB turbo Kit and not too far off from getting a used PD/SC. You may get 20-30rw with the intake and at least 150rw from the FI. Believe me, I am a N/A guy all the way, just look at my sig. But with a 5,000 vehicle N/A just isn't going to cut it. I don't think I would ever run a car intake on the truck. I want every ounce of TQ I can get.

I also wouldn't run a EWP, even though I have had great luck with them in DD Corvettes, but it was just an option to make about the same power as the intake when combined with an U/D pulley.

I will try the Dr. x xlink. I may not have been typing it correctly. All I ever came up with was guys selling used ones or needing a TAC box and other stuff with it. I will need to convert my injectors since mine were maxed before the headers and ported heads. I would still like to see your set up. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I've got the complete intake with injectors rails and TB already got return less fuel so should be pretty straight forward ?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nflddog1000
I've got the complete intake with injectors rails and TB already got return less fuel so should be pretty straight forward ?
im pretty sure its a straight swap for you now then, not positive though as i still need to do this mod

Quick Reply: TBSS Intake Swap onto 06' Silverado L33?