Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TBSS Throttle Body Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by truckmann
I actually tried both, but pushing it to the open position didn't do anything. I couldn't even move the blade open any more so I'm sure it was at WOT. When I pushed it in the closed direction it immediately went into REP and gave the P1516 code and I didn't have to push very hard at all.
Can you log ETCTPS1 voltage and ETCTPS2 voltage while pushing the blade as far open as it will go? Doesn't matter if it goes into REP while you are doing this. Actually, once it does, move the blade through its full range and log the max and min TPS-V values.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having problems getting TPS voltage to show up in the log. It was working when I first started logging when pushing the pedal. I stopped the log to go out and take the intake tube of the TB and when I started logging again voltage just stayed at 0 with no DTC's and the blade was moving. I messed with it until I ran the battery down to about 9 volts and couldn't get the TPS voltage to show back up. I'm charging the battery now and will try again in a little while. I may have to uninstall the beta version scanner I'm using and try the last stable release if it doesn't work after I charge the battery.

Just as a check I went and got my old 78mm TB, plugged it in and did the same test pushing on the blade to enable the P1516 DTC and while it did the same thing I had to push on it quite a bit harder to get it to go into REP as compared to the TBSS TB I have. I also was not seeing TPS voltage with it plugged in so I think it's an issue with the VCM scanner.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

I'm having problems getting TPS voltage to show up in the log. It was working when I first started logging when pushing the pedal. I stopped the log to go out and take the intake tube of the TB and when I started logging again voltage just stayed at 0 with no DTC's and the blade was moving. I messed with it until I ran the battery down to about 9 volts and couldn't get the TPS voltage to show back up. I'm charging the battery now and will try again in a little while. I may have to uninstall the beta version scanner I'm using and try the last stable release if it doesn't work after I charge the battery.

Just as a check I went and got my old 78mm TB, plugged it in and did the same test pushing on the blade to enable the P1516 DTC and while it did the same thing I had to push on it quite a bit harder to get it to go into REP as compared to the TBSS TB I have. I also was not seeing TPS voltage with it plugged in so I think it's an issue with the VCM scanner.
Will it log the TPSV when not in REP mode?

The latest version of EFILive no longer works for these PIDs either. Waiting to hear back as to a resolution.

Make sure you are logging the ETC TPS PIDs. There may also be a couple of different sets of ETCTPS PIDs, one is for the newer PCMs. In EFILive the correct ones are listed in the "sensor grouping" rather than in the "throttle group."
Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I could only find one pid for TPS V logging on my truck and it was working initially and then stopped for some reason and I haven't been able to get it working again. All of the pid's with ETC in them are in %. I was in the middle of messing with it again and getting ready to uninstall the beta and put the last stable release on when I had to stop and deal with a broken water pipe so I didn't get that far yet. I may try again here in a little while.

Edit:
I tried again with no luck getting the TPS voltage to log. Actually the problem seems to be getting worse. Now just holding the pedal down to WOT (which is still only showing 98% max) with the engine off is enabling REP and P1516 within a few seconds. I'm pretty sure its either an issue with the TB or the x-link. I plugged my old TB in and did the same test and it still goes to 100% and just holding the pedal down did not enable REP. I'm so frustrated right now I don't know what to do next.

I don't know if this will help, but just from memory when it seemed the TPS voltage logging was working I believe WOT was around 1.37v and if I continued to push the pedal it went up to around 1.45. That is just from memory though so I'm not sure that those where the actual numbers.

Last edited by truckmann; 01-10-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

I could only find one pid for TPS V logging on my truck and it was working initially and then stopped for some reason and I haven't been able to get it working again. All of the pid's with ETC in them are in %. I was in the middle of messing with it again and getting ready to uninstall the beta and put the last stable release on when I had to stop and deal with a broken water pipe so I didn't get that far yet. I may try again here in a little while.

Edit:
I tried again with no luck getting the TPS voltage to log. Actually the problem seems to be getting worse. Now just holding the pedal down to WOT (which is still only showing 98% max) with the engine off is enabling REP and P1516 within a few seconds. I'm pretty sure its either an issue with the TB or the x-link. I plugged my old TB in and did the same test and it still goes to 100% and just holding the pedal down did not enable REP. I'm so frustrated right now I don't know what to do next.

I don't know if this will help, but just from memory when it seemed the TPS voltage logging was working I believe WOT was around 1.37v and if I continued to push the pedal it went up to around 1.45. That is just from memory though so I'm not sure that those where the actual numbers.
If you are logging ETC TPS(GM ETC TP not SAE TP) % at 98%, then the blade should still have some room to go. Even at 100% it should still have a little more travel. If it is past horizontal and jammed on the stop, that is the problem. Either it is not seeing a full 5V on the input, there is a ground issue, or the TB sensors have higher than average resistance.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

If the TB blade is trying to go too far and you cannot find the problem, you can try limiting max TP to something like 95% in the ETC Throttle tables. Of course, it will still be opening more than that.
Attached Thumbnails TBSS Throttle Body Problem-etc-tables.jpg   TBSS Throttle Body Problem-etc-tables2.jpg   TBSS Throttle Body Problem-etc-tables-hpt.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 01-11-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Picked up a brand new l92 truck TB today and so far so good. It logs to 100% now and I haven't been able to get the P1516 code to show up yet. It was fairly warm out today so I don't know if the cold air was a factor in the problem.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Could someone change the name of this thread to something like "TBSS Throttle Body Problem" and move it somewhere more appropriate?

I don't need an LS7 TB any longer. Actually I will have one for sale as soon as I'm completely sure that the new truck TB I have has solved my problem. I think there is some good info in here for people to find though.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need a 90mm throttle body to put on my TBSS intake i just got... if someone has one let me know.

Some good info in here. Im going to need to purchase a xlink soon also.