Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TC Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
oh yeah, forgot about that, i got mine off by first striping it, then beating a 14mm 6point socket on to what was left and got lucky.

wait a sec, if your just doing the converter you dont have to pull the plug.
I know. Tried to follow the Haynes manual to the T, but that didn't last too long. Got half way through the pan bolts and said "F it!", I'll be changing fluid with the Shift kit.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey, just a bit of advice, it seems a few people dont get the converter fully engauged. you have to turn and push, turn and push. it enguages into 3(i think) diferent points.

once you get the tranny tightly bolted to the motor you should be able to freely turn the converter without it being bound to the flex plate.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good point .. I was just thinking that before I read your post. It is 3 times it engages. The input shaft has 2 sets of splines, and the case of the converter then slipes into the pump. Just keep turning it clockwise, pushing in on it without to much pressure. You might run your finger over the outside of the converter where it goes into the front pump seal to get some tranny fluid on it to make it slide in better. Don't force it ... it will go in when it's ready. The hardest part is going to be the second set because the turbines in the converter are going to want to turn at the same time since they are semi-dry.

Like Parish said ... check to make sure you can turn it with your hand once you get the tranny bolted up to the engine. You should be able to turn it with your hand, not easily, but without having to use a pry tool, it helps if your fingers aren't ATF coated too.

All the bellhousing bolts on mine were either a 15mm bolt or a 15mm stud with a 13mm nut on the outside of them holding something on. There are 3 at the top, and I think they are all studs. If you take the intake off the top of the motor, you can get to all 3 of the top ones really easy. I think it's worth pulling the intake over. Just be sure to get all the plugs back in the right spot on it.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! This is great info! I just got a little more confident about the install. Thanks all!
Old 03-07-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about that ATF? Should I go to the dealer and get a case of theirs, since I am not draining the pan just yet? I don't know if mixing brand sis good or not!
Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

All I could find is Pennzoil or some budget brand ... I chose Pennzoil. I would say .. just be consistant with it.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flyer
All I could find is Pennzoil or some budget brand ... I chose Pennzoil. I would say .. just be consistant with it.
Just picked up some Valvoline here. It was that or the AdvancedAuto House Blend.

Would've went to Walmart to get Penzoil or something better IMO, but there's a good looking girl working the counter.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I go try to find some penzoil.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I went to the dealer today and picked up a rear Trans seal. Hopefully it is the right part - 24201470
Old 03-10-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Silverado
Oh, I went to the dealer today and picked up a rear Trans seal. Hopefully it is the right part - 24201470
For when you drop your driveshaft?

Quick Reply: TC Install