Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TCI Street Fighter any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI Street Fighter any good?

Looking at the TCI Street Fighter TCI-371010 from Summit Racing and wondering if it is worth the $2K Does anyone know if this includes the core charge?

I am also wondering if this would be a better way to go than trying to upgrade my stock 4L60E in my blown Avalanche (approx. 360 RWHP @ 5500 lbs). I can't seem to find a reputable shop near me to do the upgrade, so the appeal of a straight swap is appealing.

The stock tranny has 10,000 miles on it. I also wonder what I could sell it for, if this price at Summit is for the TCI tranny straight out.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that price I'd look at a FLP level 5,I've never had any luck running anything from TCI.The FLP might cost another $400,but I think you'd be better off in the long run.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm with whitt ... FLP trans all the way. If I had the cash to fork for it ... I'd have one behind my engine.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Can anyone decipher their warranty for me? I don't know what to make of it. 90 days parts only does not sound very reassuring. And what do 'not DOT approved' and 'intended for racing/off road applications only' mean?

Finish Line Performance Transmission Warranty

90 Days Parts From the Date of Purchase.

Finish Line Performance products are not D.O.T. approved. Finish Line Performance products are intended for racing/off road applications only. Purchase and/or use of any Finish Line Performance product constitutes recognition and acceptance of this entire disclaimer by the consumer.

Under no circumstances shall Finish Line Performance be responsible for any incidental or consequential damages arising from the use of any Finish Line Performance brand or distributed products.

All returns do not cover shipping. An authorization from Finish Line Performance must be given before any processing of or inspection of Finish Line Parts."

Old 03-01-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't know what they say in their warranty but I know they fixed Parish 8's transmission after the warranty period had run out and that they have fixed others after the warranty as well.The f-body guys swear by them.I think that TCI's warranty is only 90 days as well,that's pretty much standard for warranties on racing parts.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Alrighty then, looks like I need to do some re 'search' on this web site and others on FLP. I'm leaning toward just getting a whole 'nother tranny like their Level 4 rather than have someone I don't know try and upgrade my stock 4L60E. That idea just gives me the *******.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

The stock transmission will hold up better than a sloppily done rebuild,go with a quality builder.It sounds like you might be a candidate for a 4L80E swap,your Avalanche is as heavy as my Tahoe,that sure doesn't make things any easier on the transmission.You might look into a Hughes transmission from Summit.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

I've heard the gearing is not very good on an 80E....is this true?

I've also heard that it is considerably heavier than a 60E, is not a straight bolt up, and there is more power loss than with a 60E. Is this stuff true?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

The 4L80E has a taller 1st gear 2.48 vs a 3.06 for a 4L60E and a slightly shorter 4th gear .75 vs .70 so you really need a lower axle ratio to make it perform.There's also an optional low gear planetary with a 2.75 1st gear available for the 4L80E.The transmission's internal parts are heavier so you loose a slight amount of power to the rear wheels.Most TH400 high performance parts fit a 4L80E because it is a modernized version of that transmission with electronics and an overdrive added.The way mine is setup probably adds rwhp with the 4.56 gearing it acts like a close ratio gearbox keeping the motor in the powerband all the time.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whitt who did you get to build your tranny?

Quick Reply: TCI Street Fighter any good?