Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tech ?'s on LQ4 Engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech ?'s on 6.0 HO LQ4 Engine...Intakes,Exhaust,etc

Hello,
We are using an 6.0 HO engine in an offroad (meaning 4wd) application. Engine and trans is from 02 Escalade.

I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum, but I actually could not find some of the answers I was looking for.

1) The intake manifold is tall...will a LS1 take off manifold work with this engine? I am pretty sure it fits...but not sure on sensor placement and such.
Will it hurt or help the engine in the HP and torque area? Engine will be stock except for headers. Any other cheap, simple mods that will give extra torque without damaging reliability?

2) Engine has external oil cooler coming off of block....can I block this off? Is there an over the counter solution as in block off plates or such? What other things if any should be getting blocked off?

3) I know stainless works and Headers by Ed make SS header flanges....anyone else you guys recommend?

4) I plan on sending harness to John at Speartech as I see he heavily supports this board. Any other options besides him even though I hear he is one of the best.

Thanks for any help...I hope to help contribute in the future. Mods: If this is the wrong forum, please move as you see fit...thanks

Larry
Old 01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Can anybody help?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Teching In

BTT for weekend guys. I could really use some help on these questions.

thanks,
Larry
Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Yes, You can use a LS1/6 car intake on the truck motor, but it's generally excepted that the truck intake provides more torque on a stock engine. The sensor locations are that far off.

2) You can buy a F-body or Corvette block off plate to cover that boss on the side of the engine. Suggest talking to a junk yard.

3) Stainless Steal Works has a good reputation on the board.

4) Speartech is a frequent contributor to our Conversions & Hybrid section. The guys in there would probably be better at answering most of these questions.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Teching In

TJ

The block-off plate in called an oil pan cover in the truck parts listing. (It has an oil transfer passage cast into it, so you can't just fabricate a flat plate)

You'll also need shorter bolts and the gasket is also different.

I just bought this stuff and it was less that $20. Unfortunately, I did't save the part numbers or invoice.

If you don't use your oil cooler lines and they aren't damaged, I may be interested in buying them. I also need the bracket that holds the lines to the side of the block.

Scoggin-Dickey sells GM header flanges but I don't know if they're INOX or not.

Carl
Old 01-09-2005, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

can i ask what the purpose of the block off plate is? thanks
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't specifically say this in your post, but I'm assuming this is a conversion project. By your screen name, I can guess the application. Any more details on the project?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:19 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

i saw someone ansered your question about the intake with the ls1 as the only choice stay with the truck intake but if you plan on spinning it a little more or even not the ls6 does make a difference in hp and will hook up like the ls1 and 5.3 or similar enough to it however for certain applications the ls1 can be beneficial from what i understand hope this helps
Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Larry,
A couple of questions:
1. What vehicle are you going to install the engine/transmission/transfer case in?
2. What are your goals for this vehicle?

Comments:
1. The Escalade has the LQ9 version of the 6.0 L (fundamentally the same engine with flat topped pistons rather than dished to yield a 10:1 CR rather than 9.4:1).
2. The LQ9 requires 91 Octane.
3. The transfer case on the Escalade is a single speed full-time AWD version. No low range for rock crawling, etc.

Give me some feedback and I'll be glad to try to help.

Steve
Old 01-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stealth03ss
can i ask what the purpose of the block off plate is? thanks
The block-off plate (or oil pan cover in GM speak) is more accurately an access point to the oil passage from the oil pump and a transfer plate between this passage and the oil filter.(The front hole in the pan leads to the oil pump passage and the rear hole leads to the oil filter, with the cover having a shallow v-shaped channel cast into it for oil transfer between these passages. This also allows the block and pan machining operations to be standardized.) On factory applications with oil coolers, this is where the cooler is plumbed in, and the same is applicable to some of the aftermarket plates. As designed, this will allow oil to pass through the cooler before it enters the filter.

There is an abundant opportunity to aid oil flow in the pan, pan cover and oil cooler block. This area is really worse than the pump's exit port and it's also downstream.