Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

TERRIBLE gas mileage in my 4.3, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCHammer
My old 2000 RCSB 4x4 4.3 got about 12-14 mpg. My 2004 rcsb 5.3 with cam , 20's , 3.73's and full bolt ons gets 16-18 mpg.
thats close to what im getting in my 4.8 rcsb with 20s and no other real mods
Old 02-19-2007, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for the replies. I purchased the truck because i needed something more reliable to drive instead of my z28. Im not really lookin to mod this truck. I would prob drop a K&N in but thats about it. I just want to figure out whats wrong with it while its under warranty.

I popped the hood and flicked the throttle a little bit and there is a noise that seems to be coming from the power steering pump pulley. Its almost like the sound of a bearing going out. I thought of mentioning it to the service dept when i take it in but im pretty sure they be hard headed about it. This really sucks, i sold my fast car to get something reliable and get good gas mileage and am now stuck with this that gets terrible gas mileage....
Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevymec
Do you have a 5 speed and a long bed??
It's a stepside with automatic transmission.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by red95ssclone
Thanks alot for the replies. I purchased the truck because i needed something more reliable to drive instead of my z28. Im not really lookin to mod this truck. I would prob drop a K&N in but thats about it. I just want to figure out whats wrong with it while its under warranty.

I popped the hood and flicked the throttle a little bit and there is a noise that seems to be coming from the power steering pump pulley. Its almost like the sound of a bearing going out. I thought of mentioning it to the service dept when i take it in but im pretty sure they be hard headed about it. This really sucks, i sold my fast car to get something reliable and get good gas mileage and am now stuck with this that gets terrible gas mileage....
Take it in and tell them to fix it. I need to take mine in today to get the AC fixxed too. lol

If your not wanting to mod it, at least do the TB mod, its free and makes the most difference. With just that mod I went from not spinning the tires to roasting them, and it took much less throttle cruising on the highway. Best of all its FREE.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by red95ssclone
I just picked up a single cab 2003 chevrolet silverado witht eh 4.3 v6. It is an automatic with 38k miles. I am wondering what kind of mileage you are getting in these trucks. It was a certified gm used vehicle when i got it about a month ago. I am only getting about 12-13 mpg in the city and not much better on the highway. When the truck is on the highway and when in cruise control at about 70 (completely unloaded) it sometimes has to drop out of overdrive to maintain speed on hills. The only modifications to the truck are 265/75 bfg ko's. The tires are not excessively big nor do the rub or anything so im almost positive that this is not the culprit entirely. There is not an ses light on either..........what do you think????
What gear ratio does the truck have? If you have 3.42's, the engine is requiring more throttle input to offset the height of the taller tires. You may need to switch tires or go to a lower gear ration, like a 3.73.

Look in your glove box. There should be a label there with the RPO codes. GU6 is 3.42.

I've got a ZR2 with 31 inch tires and 3.73's. I consistantly get 18-19 on the hightway and 15-16 around town. It has a CAI and a Gibson Catback.