Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is there a High Performance Ballancer for the Trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
dumb question here but what about the alternator to charge the batter or to help run all this electric crap? then wouldn't the drag of the alternator running all this crap pull down the motor alot also? i mean, to create enough current to run some of this stuff it will require alot of work for the electric generator.
LOL You are correct! You need to keep the Alt and Water Pump spinning at an effeciant enough rate to keep the battery charged and all the amenities still going and you also need the water pump speed up to keep things cool in a 500hp 4500+lb pick up or tahoe! I wish they made a standard ratio pulley for that reason, but i guess 25% isn't enough to really caus issues when you are hot rodding around otherwise no one would use them so who knows, i'd like to see how Real Truck Guys Like their 25% underdrive Pulleys!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontiac Derek
LOL You are correct! You need to keep the Alt and Water Pump spinning at an effeciant enough rate to keep the battery charged and all the amenities still going and you also need the water pump speed up to keep things cool in a 500hp 4500+lb pick up or tahoe! I wish they made a standard ratio pulley for that reason, but i guess 25% isn't enough to really caus issues when you are hot rodding around otherwise no one would use them so who knows, i'd like to see how Real Truck Guys Like their 25% underdrive Pulleys!
Simple answer - get an overdrive alternator pulley (32% overdrive) to bring the alternator back up to 99%. The electronics won't notice a difference from stock because 99% power is within tolerance.

The water pump is a separate issue. If your truck's not cooling properly using an underdrive pulley, use a lower temp thermostat (and maybe even an electric water pump, which will benefit from the overdrive alternator pulley).