Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Thermostat Mod Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Mod Pics

Maybe this has been done by many, but I haven't found anything on LS1tech or this forum about it, so I thought I'd share my modest success...

I've wanted to change my thermostat to a cooler 160 for some time, but the $50 price tag is just a little high when you're used to paying $5 for any older engine, so I thought I'd take a hint from the little roadraing experience I have and modify my thermostat housing. Typically, one would drill 3 to 5 holes in the perimeter of the thermostat, but since ours are one piece, it had to be a little different.

I know the lower temps may not be ideal for performance, but a few here have mentioned a full 20 degree drop in trans temperatures with the 160 thermostat, and so that alone is worth it for me.

Here's the thermostat with three .203" (13/64") holes drilled exactly in between the o-ring groove and the open center. One is through where the check valve is stock, so after drilling that hole half way through, you stop to let the check ball fall out, and then finish the hole. I went back through that check valve hole with a 1/4" drill halfway through to clean out the steel ring that secures the check ball in place.

Should you decide to do this with standard steel drill bits, I'd suggest starting with a smaller 1/8" bit and then stepping them up to the 3/16"-13/64". I've got a nice stash of reamers, so my holes get stepped up within 2/1000"

If the hash marks on the gauge are accurate, I'm seeing about 185 for the last few days, with the highest being 190, as pictured. My truck previously ran a firm 210 at all times. My seat of the pants dyno says it's more powerful as well, but it's not terribly reliable.

the gauge, however, doesn't lie

Last edited by Start2Fabrication; 08-24-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:35 AM
BRU
Teching In

Looks like a great (free) mod! Good write-up, too. Thanks for posting this.

Originally Posted by Start2Fabrication
I know the lower temps may not be ideal for performance, but a few here have mentioned a full 20 degree drop in trans temperatures with the 160 thermostat, and so that alone is worth it for me.
I thought lower temps were ideal for performance?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also take it apart and put a spacer in it.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does drilling the holes affect the thermostat, can you explain that?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRU
Looks like a great (free) mod! Good write-up, too. Thanks for posting this.

I thought lower temps were ideal for performance?
intake are temps are more ideal, denser cooler air, less detonation, but engines have temperature ranges where they are more efficient at burning fuel/moving oil around. An extreme example, if the engine is too cold (aka winter startup) it will run rough till it warms up. Things like cam specs and port size/shape depend on the factory set temperature opperating range to have the best combustion event.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white1
You can also take it apart and put a spacer in it.
it's too bad no one has ever done a write up on that. I've seen a dozen thermostat threads every week since I've been a member and never once heard of anyone putting a spacer in.

How does drilling the holes affect the thermostat
It allows the coolant to flow before it has opportunity to reach the full open temperature of the thermostat.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think on those you can also do the bb mod which i geuss is the same as the spacer.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Start2Fabrication
I've got a nice stash of reamers, so my holes get stepped up within 2/1000"
Within .002" of what? Each other? What made you decide on 13/64"?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
Within .002" of what? Each other? What made you decide on 13/64"?
within .002" of the drill size used, by hand. My job involves some precicion drilling and you'd be suprised at just how sloppy a hole can get with standard steel drill bits... like +.020"

13/64 is equal to .203" which is the largest reamer I felt I could fit in between the o-ring groove and the thermostat opening while keeping some wall thickness.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4.8T
i think on those you can also do the bb mod which i geuss is the same as the spacer.
Please explain the BB mod.... If nothing else, at least this thread could serve as a resource for all of the thermostat mod choices.

For that matter, explain the spacer mod too, because I don't see an easy way of taking it apart and then reassembling it.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Mod Pics