Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

thinking of dropping my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of dropping my truck

should i go 2/4 3/4 or 4/6 and what would be a good price
to pay to get it done?
Old 05-10-2003, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: thinking of dropping my truck

I have had everything from 4/6 to a full bagged system...and I can tell you this. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would do a 2/4.

Kent
Old 05-10-2003, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Check out the post from pewter 4.8, he just posted pics of our trucks. I have the reg cab with the 2/4 hotchkis drop and 17" denali wheels. He has a 2/4 hotchkis drop with 20x9 MKW's. His size tires are 275-45-20 in front and 295-50-20 in rear, I have 275-60-17 all the way around.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm running a Hotchkis drop and don't feel the need to go lower. People know I'm dropped when they see it.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Teching In

The drop you do really depends on the wheel & tire package you are going to run. If you have the stockers on then you could do a 4-6 without rubbing the tires. Most in-stock wheels at the tire stores will not have the correct backspacing for them to tuck in the fenders. This means you would have to order a wheel with a custom backspacing. My truck has a 2-4 w/ 20" wheels & Eagle GT IIs, and it looks good for now. When I get the time & money it will be bagged
Old 05-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would really not recommend going ANY lower than a 2/4 inch drop like the Hotchkis setup I and many others on this forum run.

IF you are willing to get a bagged truck that allows you to control ride height THEN go as low as you want.

I have the 2/4 Hotchkis drop and stock wheels/tires on my 03. Normally I dont have any serious problems with driveways BUT I do often find my factory trailer hitch scraping its bottom.

This weekend I had an INSANELY hard time getting into this vacation house's 45 degree angle driveway. My front end was sliding into a flower bed of rocks while kicking rocks up into my front lower air dam. Now I have a bunch of little scratches on the lower lip of my truck
I was trying to pull into this driveway but the hill was SO steep! My girlfriend was freaking out as my truck was sliding, spinning the rear tires, and rocking back and forth. It was a real trip, mainly this was all due to a completely crazy and stupid driveway design.

It wasnt that bad but was NOT fun. IF my truck had a 4/6 drop I think I would have taken off my front and possibly rear bumper trying to park my truck.

I LOVE the way a 4/6 drop looks but unless you can control your ride height then I dont think its a good idea, especially for a daily driver.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I have a 4/6 DJM drop. I can agree with Thunder on the driver side being lower. My driver side is a good half inch lower. I am running 18x8.5 American Racing Torq-Thrusts with 255/55 Toyo Proxes S/T's. My tires don't rub and everything clears. I don't bottom out unless I try to. Whenever you drop a truck, you have to drive with a little bit of sense. You can't just haul *** over speed bumps anymore.

A 4/6 looks good, but I would c-notch it. I did not c-notch mine and it rides like a goat!

Put a 3/4 on it and ride. My opinion.

Josh Hucks
NXS Customs

BTW: My dop kit was $550. It had new lower control arms, flip kits, bumpstops, bushings, and shocks. I put it on myself so labor was free.

Quick Reply: thinking of dropping my truck