Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

thinking of dropping my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: thinking of dropping my truck

I agree that dropping any car requires driving with more sense, something pretty obvious. I just feel that it's a real pain to have to drive sideways just to get into every driveway, over speed bumps etc., something basically required with anything lower than a 2/4 inch drop.

With my truck's hotchkis setup the drivers side is not lower than the passenger side.

Personally I think for a daily driver anything lower than a 2/4, maybe a 3/4 is pushing the limits of comfortable driving. Back in the day I used to drive a completely slammed civic and even though it handled amazingly it was a real pain in the ***.

Old 05-13-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey ajax what drop do you have.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I have a 2-4 on mine. It looks really good if you go with big wheels & tires (20" or bigger). Anything smaller, and the fender gap is just too big for me. The Eagle GT II tires are a God send (thank you Ford). They were made for the Harley edition Fords, and being that Ford owners are cheap by nature , they had to have a tire that was cheap to put on their 20" wheels. The thing I like most about them is that they are so big in diameter (same diameter as factory only wider) that I can mash the pedal to the floor, and get very little tire spin. Course this will all change by next week when I have my 3.73 gears, yank 3000 and shift kit put in Seriously, these tires are less than $150 a piece. You just can't beat that for a 20" tire!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Launching!

well thanks for the help guys ill be useing the 2/4 drop on mine i also he 20inch rims with gooyear egale gt2s 275/45/20 if i can just make them stop shakeing my front end at 55-70 mph ill be ok
Old 05-14-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 2-4 on mine. It looks really good if you go with big wheels & tires (20" or bigger). Anything smaller, and the fender gap is just too big for me. The Eagle GT II tires are a God send (thank you Ford). They were made for the Harley edition Fords, and being that Ford owners are cheap by nature , they had to have a tire that was cheap to put on their 20" wheels. The thing I like most about them is that they are so big in diameter (same diameter as factory only wider) that I can mash the pedal to the floor, and get very little tire spin. Course this will all change by next week when I have my 3.73 gears, yank 3000 and shift kit put in Seriously, these tires are less than $150 a piece. You just can't beat that for a 20" tire!
Do you have the hotchkis drop or what and I already have a set of 20" mkw mk10 in a 20x9 I already had a 2 4 drop on it with belltech spindles and shackle and hanger but the spindles wasn't worth 2 cents so I raised it back up and sold the kit. Would like to do the hotchkis kit someday.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Teching In

I have a Belltech kit on my truck. I ordered a 3-4 kit(shackles, hangers, spindles & 1" springs), but after dropping it the full 3" in front it was just too low because of the cross member on the '01 vehicles. I ditched those springs and spindles, and went with 2" Belltech springs. I am running Doestch Tech shocks which really help keep you from bottoming out on the frame if you don't have a c-notch. The reason our trucks lean so much to the driver's side is because of the placement of the fuel tank. If you look at it with a full tank of gas and an empty tank you'll see a huge difference.