Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Thinking out loud, but would like your input...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking out loud, but would like your input...

From what I've read, it seems that a custom sheetmetal intake manifold will net more of a gain in the upper RPM's and give up a noticeable amount of HP/TQ in the lower RPM range in a N/A setup, right? This being due to the short runner lenght of the intake not having/getting enough air flow velocity until reaching higher RPM's where a short intake runner is favored, right?

So, my thinking is if you have a set of heads specially designed for high air flow velocity(AFR's), you may actually be able to run a sheetmetal intake and see considerable gains throughout the entire RPM range.

The reason I'm pondering this is I'm trying to justify spending $2500 on such a manifold. I guess justify isn't the word, more like convince/brain wash myself that I'd see or get a generous performance gain from one. I'm nowhere near having the money to buy one at the moment, but I'm always looking for the "whats next" mod. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Streetability would suck baddly. I very seldom see these on a car that sees any street time. The heat soak would be another killer IMO.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't spend $2500 on an intake manifold. $2500 would get you a nice head/cam combo which would give great HP gains throughout the RPM range.
Philip S.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spend that money on some Ported AFR heads
Or maybe a Fast intake with a 90mm throttle body or something along those line
Unless your going to plumb in a direct port setup with the sheetmetal Don't waste your cash is my thinking

You have a big cube motor correct Nice set of heads and intake would net more than that sheetmetal for sure
Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Former Vendor

Profiler is coming out with a new set of head ready to go, that is suppose to out flow all others. Also the intake runner length.
Ricky
Old 01-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Profiler is coming out with a new set of head ready to go, that is suppose to out flow all others. Also the intake runner length.
Ricky
Who is Profiler?

ET Performance has said they are coming out with a new set of heads also and supposedly they are some bad *****. Don't know exactly when they'll be out though.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Silent1 - I can see the logic behind your idea but, every test of a sheetmetal intake I've seen shows them losing TONS of torque down low and don't start to make more power until WAY up in the rpm range(5000-5500+ if I remember correctly). I don't know if the AFR's would make up that difference or not. The FAST 90mm Intake/TB seems to be a proven intake setup for big cubes and doesn't lose anything.

I'd say do the AFR's and 90mm FAST intake setup. Should make GREAT torque and only be down a few hp on top compared to the sheetmetal intake. The 90mm LS2 intake is an option also but, has not proven itself just yet IMHO(not enough data)
Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did leave out a few details of my setup. I'm currently running a darton block 427, Ported AFR's should arrive this week along with the LG "juggernaut" cam aka G5X4. I'm currently also running the FAST 90mm intake w/ 90mm TPIS TB. I do plan on running a direct port system. Like I said in the first post, I'm just trying to run this past you guys with more experience to see if this is a worthwhile mod. I know $2500 is STEEP, but as you can see, I ain't cheap. If I have the money, I'll spend it. I just don't want to repeat how I got started spending money on worthless shorty headers, HPP3, and so forth.

I've been working fairly close with Nate at Nasty Performance and his sheetmetal intake is supposed to better than the earlier ones from other vendors. He has sold quite a few and I've yet to hear of a disappointed customer. He has said it works better with forced induction and large nitrous applications rather than a N/A setup.

Again, just getting a feel for "whats next". You guys know how it is when you get bit by the performance bug.......................................The effects never go away
Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Launching!

A sheetmetal will make more power hands down. 2500 is a good deal for a sheatmetal LS1 intake. I have seen them for 3500.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silent1
I did leave out a few details of my setup. I'm currently running a darton block 427, Ported AFR's should arrive this week along with the LG "juggernaut" cam aka G5X4. I'm currently also running the FAST 90mm intake w/ 90mm TPIS TB. I do plan on running a direct port system. Like I said in the first post, I'm just trying to run this past you guys with more experience to see if this is a worthwhile mod. I know $2500 is STEEP, but as you can see, I ain't cheap. If I have the money, I'll spend it. I just don't want to repeat how I got started spending money on worthless shorty headers, HPP3, and so forth.

I've been working fairly close with Nate at Nasty Performance and his sheetmetal intake is supposed to better than the earlier ones from other vendors. He has sold quite a few and I've yet to hear of a disappointed customer. He has said it works better with forced induction and large nitrous applications rather than a N/A setup.

Again, just getting a feel for "whats next". You guys know how it is when you get bit by the performance bug.......................................The effects never go away

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud, but would like your input...