Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

those with magnaflow cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes that is the correct # , according to that # on their website they are the spun metalic cats, i got the number from when moregrip did his exhaust. ill see if i can get a side shot of the cat but its on the truck right now so i dont know if i can see the part #.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

anyway i was gonna get these also but fuggum...i just ordered some 3" flow monster spun metalic cats and some 3" 3 bolt flanges to do em right on these headers...thanks for the info..
Old 12-27-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

here is the best picture i could take , you can see the 59959 number on there slightly

Old 12-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So aftermarket parts are supposed to stand up to whatever is thrown at them even if it's something that will exceed the materials limitations? Burning raw fuel in a cat is bound to mess it up pretty quick and 9-10:1 AFR is REALLY rich.

I remember a video of a Harlan two step being used on a car with catalytic converters. The converters blew apart in a couple seconds from the raw fuel burning in them.

2004SSS - I'm sure you probably won't go back with magnaflow and are going to purchase something else anyway so why don't you send those in and have them tested. The worse case is you won't get anything out of it, best case you'll get a new pair of cats to sell or do whatever you want with.

If you want to post up what you find out that's fine but, the rest of the people posting just to bash need to stop now.

With that said I honestly couldn't say what has happened to those cats and am not trying to take sides just trying to get some people to think before replying.

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 12-27-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

i honestly dont have anything against magnaflow, in fact i have had great experience with their product( except the current one) and i love their mufflers. i was just stating my experience with them and how they were handling the situation. i know it could have been my fault which i stated in the beginning. i just thought they could take more than what i through at them since my oem cats took alot more than that. I honestly will still buy magnaflow porducts, though i was expecting a little better customer service instead of them stating they were not their cats. I may end up going with the same cats becauain , so right now finding something that will fit in that same size spot is going to be difficult. i am not going to send these back however , like i said i am very short on time right now and i need to get this truck out of the garage and on the road again, so i gutted the cats and am going to run them as they are. in the future i may get some new cat pipes made with the same exact converters, but before i do this i will make sure my afr is spot on and that way if they do happen to fail again i will send them in and i wont have to worry about down time. i didnt mean to discourage anyone from purchasing magnaflow i was just stating what happened to me .
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, alright everybody slooooow down. I am trying to read into this and I may not be a magnaflow customer, but I gotta say, lots of boost, lost of raw fuel, and in 11 seconds you HAVE DONE some damage. They pile up. It's just how it is. 10 eleven second runs of 10:1 afr "could" be enough to cause the cats to fail. I have fried stock cats, dynatech kit cats, and then dynatech's highflow cat. You can't tell me that all three of those were just defective.

Simple as this, everybody's vehicle is different, even with the same setups. Tunes can be a mile apart. I with BADMOFO on the fact that they should of just took your data, kicked you a new set and warned ya on the next set, "NO SOUP FOR YOU". That would of killed this thread. But we are so quick to bash a manufacturer for what 10 people's bad experiences were. And of those 10, 7 had setups that caused the failure. We pulled the The Breeze's cats the other night (okay we as in I didn't do **** besides stand there, Jason and Brett at f-body central did the work) and looked at this stockers. They said the edges are starting to "fold in". Seriously, common on blown vehicles with more than 7#'s of boost and richer than 11.8AFR I bet

If you are running below 13 seconds, your **** is gonna break. Your **** isn't going to last as long as everybody elses. ESPECIALLY when you are experimenting with fueling, tuning, spark, and what not. Pay to play. I am catless for this very reason.

Gut em and replace them once your dialed in. Again, I am not pro magnaflow here, they could very well be a horrible company, just those cats looked EXACTLY like all three of my sets and I am sure magnaflow's development budget isn't small. 1500 degrees post cat with 9:1 fuel:air going into the cats. They are gonna DIE!!!!

sorry for the book...
Old 12-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice reply chase, get the tune dialed in!!!!

jeeesh took me forever to reply. LOL freaking everybody posted by the time i posted. hahaha
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
i honestly dont have anything against magnaflow, in fact i have had great experience with their product( except the current one) and i love their mufflers. i was just stating my experience with them and how they were handling the situation. i know it could have been my fault which i stated in the beginning. i just thought they could take more than what i through at them since my oem cats took alot more than that. I honestly will still buy magnaflow porducts, though i was expecting a little better customer service instead of them stating they were not their cats. I may end up going with the same cats becauain , so right now finding something that will fit in that same size spot is going to be difficult. i am not going to send these back however , like i said i am very short on time right now and i need to get this truck out of the garage and on the road again, so i gutted the cats and am going to run them as they are. in the future i may get some new cat pipes made with the same exact converters, but before i do this i will make sure my afr is spot on and that way if they do happen to fail again i will send them in and i wont have to worry about down time. i didnt mean to discourage anyone from purchasing magnaflow i was just stating what happened to me .
2004SSS - If you hate magnaflow that is fine with me. I have no ties with them except having one of their catbacks on my old truck at one time. I was just trying to get people to stop and slow down before this turned into some sorta mission to kill a company for a parts failure that might not be their fault. A lot of variables here. I think Dewey's post above pretty much sums up how I feel on the matter.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

it owul dhave been nice if they through me a new set but hey you do have to pay to play , i know this , i have broke every major functioning part in my truck at least once( trans x2, motor, front diff, water pump, power steerign pump, ac condensor,etc) some were covered becasue they werent my fault but other i had to fork out the cheese to play some more. i will contiue to buy magnaflow but i will be more carefull on my behalf in how i use them .everyone started to get me fired up about how they should be covered under warranty but i agree with the extreme set up i am using them for failure is much more plausable. so i will most likly but some more cats soon but i am going to use a stock exhaust when the smog check comes so i my as well leave them catless.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AT THIS point i would just make it hallow.

here is what they look like on the car-sound.com site

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/599.asp

Quick Reply: those with magnaflow cats