Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

those with magnaflow cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
it owul dhave been nice if they through me a new set but hey you do have to pay to play , i know this , i have broke every major functioning part in my truck at least once( trans x2, motor, front diff, water pump, power steerign pump, ac condensor,etc) some were covered becasue they werent my fault but other i had to fork out the cheese to play some more. i will contiue to buy magnaflow but i will be more carefull on my behalf in how i use them .everyone started to get me fired up about how they should be covered under warranty but i agree with the extreme set up i am using them for failure is much more plausable. so i will most likly but some more cats soon but i am going to use a stock exhaust when the smog check comes so i my as well leave them catless.
Sorry for Chiming in here late ... I would like to see the cats you have in person. Obviously, we are both in SoCal and you have the first set that i have ever seen to look like that.

From what i can see you had raw fuel combustion in the cat or somthing physically hit hte cat causing a blockage, excessive heating and then combustion in the cat. To any avail, the cat looks like it has expereinced catestrophics failure to whos fault i can only speculate. Excessive rich run can cause ignition / combustion in the cat which has been known to cause such damage.

If you dont mind the trek over to my Tech Facility in Rancho Santa Margarita I would be happy to see these parts and take a closer look at it to determine causation. I have seen excellent field results for power adder cars with this cat and the only failures i have expereinced were vehicles with Sub 10:1 A/F due to reignition / combustion of the excess fuel. Under more standard A/F s near 11.5-13.0:1 these cats will survive 1550-1600 inlet EGTs.

As I said feel free to contact me and we can look this over more closely.
rwaitas@magnaflow.com
Old 12-28-2006, 09:33 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet there was a small explosion when those let loose
Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chase, one quick thing -- most widebands cap at either 10 or 9 AFR, so if you are seeing 9 AFR, you may be even richer than that. I know mine will report 10 AFR, and if it sees that for some time period it changes to 'rich' lol.

I'd take Oxidizer up on that offer, if for no other reason than to identify a possible problem. If it turns out they were faulty, its good for you. If it turns out you had a rich bubble, you are no worse for wear.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

well i appreciate the help guys and if it would have been a day or so earlier i would have definatly taken you up. i just recently pulled out all of the metal subtrate. so now they are hollow. like i said time is of essence right now. I really wish i could have took you up on that offer. I have to be on the dyno on the 3rd early am so i need this time to tune the truck . i plan on buying another set of the same cats just to give it one more try. im going to have the same cat pipes made so i can swap them out with my current hollow cats. i appreciate the help though . sorry i couldnt take you up on your offer. my wideband has gone to 9's before but it never said rich.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Moderator / Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
well i appreciate the help guys and if it would have been a day or so earlier i would have definatly taken you up. i just recently pulled out all of the metal subtrate. so now they are hollow. like i said time is of essence right now. I really wish i could have took you up on that offer. I have to be on the dyno on the 3rd early am so i need this time to tune the truck . i plan on buying another set of the same cats just to give it one more try. im going to have the same cat pipes made so i can swap them out with my current hollow cats. i appreciate the help though . sorry i couldnt take you up on your offer. my wideband has gone to 9's before but it never said rich.
If you descide to keep the hollow shells on the car I would recommend running a straight pipe inside them. A standard 3" OD pipe should slide right in end to end. This will reduce unnecessary exhaust expansion and maintain better laminar flow through your exhaust system.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

well for some reason i was thinking about htis today. Is there any reason cutouts would create the cats to burn up? i mean say they are open it has about 2-3 feet from the cats. could it caus the cats to get even hotter since the flow of exhaust is so much shorter thus hittign the outside air and creating more heat? or am i crazy?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

Thought about one like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Cat...QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe 2 of those would work if 1 doesn't... It says something about CARB, but doesn't say exactly what about it.

*EDIT* Or you can support ThunderRacing and get ya one of these http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...p&vid=9&pcid=8

Last edited by ramdaspadhye; 02-25-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

the one for 43 looks like a magnaflow but has the internals of a ceramic cat. im probably going to use th emagnaflows again since the price is decent but i just want to be sure it wont happen again. i doubt it was from running rich but maybe could have been a combo or running rish with the cut outs open causing them to burn up either way id like to get to the bottom of this so i know what to avoid when i re install some cats.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Random Technology is supposed to be a good brand, or so I've heard. I wouldn't support Magnaflow after the episode you had. That's rediculous considering they would just have to spend like...20 bucks their cost and keep a valuable customer...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Random Technology is supposed to be a good brand, or so I've heard. I wouldn't support Magnaflow after the episode you had. That's rediculous considering they would just have to spend like...20 bucks their cost and keep a valuable customer...
Appearantly, you don't read entire threads. I offered to inspect the parts and if they were an issue I would be more than happy to replace them. Sending out parts to cover up problems is not a way to fix them ... only to hide them from further posts. I have no problem addressing issues first hand here on the forum but I can also say if his truck's tune is in fact the culprit NO cat will survive. I woudl rather provide accurate information rather than simply trow parts at a problem, waste his time and money replacing them to only have them fail again.