Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Those running catch cans on a N/A setup please come in here

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those running catch cans on a N/A setup please come in here

I bought this catch can from thunder racing: http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&sid=776#P5920
And the instructions included don't talk about trucks. Can someone explain what valve cover hoses go to what? Pictures are helpful. Anything get capped off?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the can between the pcv valve and intake on the driver side.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an AMW catch can, it just goes in-line with the PCV hose. Do the instructions say which port in the inlet and outlet? (I'm at work right now so I can't take a look at mine). Basically one hose goes to the PCV valve and one goes to the top of the intake. IIRC the hose on the top goes to the PCV, and the side one to the intake, nothing gets capped off. There may be a pic on my cardomain page, but I can't seem to get on the website at the moment. I'll try again later...gotta run...

*EDIT* hope this helps...(catch can is the black annodized item to the right, mounted to a home made aluminum bracket)

Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

The top barb is the inlet according to the instructions. IE: LS6 valley cover hose runs to the top fitting (assuming this is inlet) It states the side barb to the PCV valve (since they don't have one in 04 does this mean the big fitting on top of the intake that the drivers side hose runs to?). So if I'm getting you right, the hose that comes from the drivers side valve cover needs to go into the top of the catch can, then from the side of the catch can to the top of the intake??? The pass side gets left alone so that it can breathe in fresh air from the TB? Now to make this work with my 3 piece engine covers......... Might have a nice set of engine covers up for sale soon
Old 08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hirdlej
The top barb is the inlet according to the instructions. IE: LS6 valley cover hose runs to the top fitting (assuming this is inlet) It states the side barb to the PCV valve (since they don't have one in 04 does this mean the big fitting on top of the intake that the drivers side hose runs to?). So if I'm getting you right, the hose that comes from the drivers side valve cover needs to go into the top of the catch can, then from the side of the catch can to the top of the intake??? The pass side gets left alone so that it can breathe in fresh air from the TB? Now to make this work with my 3 piece engine covers......... Might have a nice set of engine covers up for sale soon

yes. that is correct. if you get rid of those engine covers give me a shout.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Why a catch can again hirdlej? You touched on the explanation briefly a few weeks ago when I was in your garage, I can't remember your reason behind the purchase though.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Because of the high cylinder pressures I am working with and sustained high RPM's. In my opinion a catch can is crucial to a high performance lSx build or even a stock one. Remember the intake ports on my 4.8L and how gunky they were? That's with 2K mile oil changes and moderate to hard driving. Now, why would I want to take my new 6L with my fancy head porting only to have the smooth ports gunked up with oil? These motors have a lot of blowby and coat the intake manifold and heads with ****. The crankcase ventilation will instead now pass through my catch can, oil and air will separate and the air will go back into the engine. After my dyno session tomorrow I'll see how much oil I can gather in it
Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

The catch can definitely works, I drain about a tablespoon of oil out of mine every 500 miles
Old 08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by hirdlej
The top barb is the inlet according to the instructions. IE: LS6 valley cover hose runs to the top fitting (assuming this is inlet) It states the side barb to the PCV valve (since they don't have one in 04 does this mean the big fitting on top of the intake that the drivers side hose runs to?).
Hmmm, mine has the top barb going to the PCV valve, so either our catch can's are designed differently, or mine is plummed backwards...
Old 08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Uhhmm....... You better check that dude

Quick Reply: Those running catch cans on a N/A setup please come in here