Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Threw away $100 today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut 14" off my tailpipe, and that reduced my drone by at least 50%. I did it to my OEM exhaust with an 18" Magnaflow swap and with my current JBA catback. Both times it worked wonders.
Attached Thumbnails Threw away 0 today.-p8190002.jpg  

Last edited by suddenurge; 10-22-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could test the pipe lenght theory by temporairliy removing the tail pipe.

any other thing to consider is the hangers, if you have custom pipes and the steel hangers are loose in the rubber mounts on the frame, this can set off a vibration.
Make sure all the hangers are tight in the rubbers,

althought I don't have a blower our exhaust is similar, mine does not drone
Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So do you think I will have any problems going with a single 3" from the 3.5" cutout back to the rear behind the tire, not only from a sound perspective but performance as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KA41
So do you think I will have any problems going with a single 3" from the 3.5" cutout back to the rear behind the tire, not only from a sound perspective but performance as well.
Just put the largest 3.5 resonator that will fit in front of the muffler.

you could put 3 inch on it to change the sound and you wouldn't loose much if any performance, might even gain some low rpm power.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think the bullets are more to cure rasp than drone, like mentioned earlier in the thread. I put an SLP LM2 in front of my Corsa to get rid of the horrible rasp after my cats were ditched, and it worked perfectly. I have mine dumped before axle and it doesn't drone at all... But on the other hand, I put a magnaflow on my Jeep XJ and it drones worse than any flowmaster I've heard, and that's with the cat still on there.

Which reminds me, anyone here ever hear of having a length of tube (not really sure how to determine length) welded into the exhaust system perpendicular to the direction of flow, but blocked off on the end? I forgot what this method is called off-hand, but this supposedly cures all drone, might help you out, esp. if you want to kill it completley, not just move the frequency up the rpm range.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShredSled
Yeah, I think the bullets are more to cure rasp than drone, like mentioned earlier in the thread. I put an SLP LM2 in front of my Corsa to get rid of the horrible rasp after my cats were ditched, and it worked perfectly. I have mine dumped before axle and it doesn't drone at all... But on the other hand, I put a magnaflow on my Jeep XJ and it drones worse than any flowmaster I've heard, and that's with the cat still on there.

Which reminds me, anyone here ever hear of having a length of tube (not really sure how to determine length) welded into the exhaust system perpendicular to the direction of flow, but blocked off on the end? I forgot what this method is called off-hand, but this supposedly cures all drone, might help you out, esp. if you want to kill it completley, not just move the frequency up the rpm range.
Yep, heard that works the best. Here's a good read: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=424169
Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Yep, heard that works the best. Here's a good read: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=424169

oh yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say in my horrible attempt to explain! Thanks for the link.

Like one guy there mentions, possibly similar to the factory intakes too...