Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

throttle boby mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I question the ported tb gains. I do not see how something that you are not increasing the ID size of can show any gains. "Smoothing" or "Polishing" of a factory TB is useless until proven other wise (in a controlled enviornment).
You are increasing the flow area by removing the front half of the throttle plate bar (if done right by someone that knows what they're doing), and by smoothing our the air flow just like porting a set of heads. The results are; better throttle response, better TQ, and better HP.

In back to back magazine dyno tests, they were proven to make power without any other changes. I know magazine dyno tests can't be compared to your own local dyno, but in back to back to back tests, with documented changes, the gains are measureable.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:06 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I challange any of the well known TB porting companies to send me a Ported TB, I will test it back to back in a controlled enviornment. If I see claimed gains, I will personally purchase the TB and report the findings.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

i had a bbk 80mm on my 00.. i dont think its worth porting a stocker. im with blownchevy on this one.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I challange any of the well known TB porting companies to send me a Ported TB, I will test it back to back in a controlled enviornment. If I see claimed gains, I will personally purchase the TB and report the findings.
Do you have a stock DBW TB? If so, I'd take you up on that if you're willing to pay a refundable core charge ($100). I'll send you the TB, test it, and send it back within 30 days. If you keep it, you buy the porting service (price I'm not allowed to discuss until I become a paying supporter, but it's pretty cheap). If you end up buying the ported one, send back your stock TB for the core refund.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Truck addict

sounds like a plan to me. lets see what it will do...
Old 04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, here's the "math" of just the throttle bar removal...

70mm TB = Pi*R squared = 3846.5 mm - the throttle bar of say 10mm by 70mm = 700mm blocked (Our throttle shaft is a few mm larger than 10 too). You end up with approx 3146.5mm of cross sectional flow area. Remove half of the bar (again, using 5mm to make the math easy) you end up with 3496.5 of cross sectional flow area, a gain of almost 10% in flow area.

Add in the smoothing of the bore entrance, the filling and smoothing of the valve cover vent tube hole (in DBW throttle bodies anyway), and the smoothing of the EGR/part throttle tumble lip, and you will notice the difference on a flow bench or dyno (or in my case, by getting repeated 1-2 MPG increase on the same highway trips. I even took it off for several weeks to verify...).
Old 04-18-2006, 04:55 PM
blownerator

Got a nice DBW core here I can send you. I am using a 90mm LS2 TB (bigger is better) and cannot test it on my particular vehicle. I will however provide a STOCK UN-MODDED truck to test it on. PM me for an address and we will set this up.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PM sent. Stock vehicle may not see as much as modded, but if we see anything it will put this in a positive light. I've been doing this for 7 years (10 years prior to that doing the same thing to carbs) and I've yet to see one vehicle not gain anything...

BTW, I can't use the early style DBW throttle bodies as cores yet as I don't have one to modify. If you have that kind, I'll need your TB before hand to modify...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
blownerator

Another point: You are telling me if General Motors could have gotten another 1-2 mpg and some more HP out of a smoothed and polished TB they wouldnt have done it? I am awaiting the TB for testing, I will ship you a DBW tb tomorrow for the core.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
PM sent. Stock vehicle may not see as much as modded, but if we see anything it will put this in a positive light. I've been doing this for 7 years (10 years prior to that doing the same thing to carbs) and I've yet to see one vehicle not gain anything...

So a stock vehicle will gain less than 1-2 RWHP?

Quick Reply: throttle boby mods