Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Throttle body!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body!?!?

Decided to do the throttle body coolant disconnect today, and took the throttle body off the truck to look at it to see if I wanted to port or polish the inside flow area. I measured the the total diameter of the flap, and it is 2 & 3/4". The intake manifold is exactly 3" on the inlet. Now it does narrow down a little bit going into the manifold, but not by as much as 1/4". This says to me that a slightly larger throttle body would definately help.

I also looked at descreening the MAF sensor, but could not see how much that could really help, especially after reading others posts. If I am going to supercharger later, I think leave well enough alone.

BBK, is the only one I saw that makes a larger throttle body, and thiers is 80mm or 3.265". Now the intake manifold maybe has about 1/16th of an inch that can be ported off, and then there will be nothing to hold the rubber gasket onto the manifold anymore. So in other words, you really can't port the manifold unless you maybe use a cork gasket or something as such, and I don't know if I want to tear up the manifold. Plus since it narrows down further inside the manifold, I don't know how 1/2" increase could help that much. I only see creating more turbulance inside the manifold opening, and I don't think that is going to help performance.

So what this comes down to is the questions.

Are there other throttle body manufacturers?
Does this TB still give a power gain that others have seen?
Will it be okay to just remove the gasket, port it, make a new gasket and bolt it up?
Or will this all be a waste of time?

Since the stock throttle body opening is 4" big, and it is allready smooth bored by the flap into the manifold, is it worth polishing up the rest of the TB opening, or is that not going to help either? I personally don't really see enough benifit to make any noticable difference with that polishing, but you guys would now better from others attempts. So if you guys think that polishing the stocker will be best, that is what I will do.

Thanks for any info or help.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Throttle body!?!?

Unless you are using an aftermarket manifold, a larger TB is a waste of money. Porting is really the only worthwhile enhancment when running stock dispacment and intake manifolds and will get you in the 2-5 rwhp range. About the same as a 80mm $300+ BBK. The stock intake as you have found out is next to impossible to enlarge. But the TB plate on a stock TB matches the inlet bore on the manifold, so unless you risk porting the intake or go aftermarket it really isn't worth doing IMO.

Here is mine:
BEFORE
AFTER