Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Throwing codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:48 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throwing codes

Got these codes...
P1336 Engine controller ($10) - - - - - - C - CKP System Variation not learned
P1336 Engine controller ($10) M P O H 1 2 C I CKP System Variation not learned
P1336 Engine controller ($10) - P - - - - - - CKP System Variation not learned
P1631 Engine controller ($10) - - - H 1 - - I Theft Deterrent Password Incorrect

The 1631 is because of the Nelson tune. Yes I've done the passkey relearn procedure and it still does it. I'm waiting for Allen to send out a new tune with that fixed. He hasn't gotten back to me yet
About the CKP codes, I hooked up EFI Live 6 and attempted the relearn procedure with no luck. I will try again, but I don't get why it didn't work. I followed the instructions, it just didn't cut fuel to the injectors like it said it would. I tried it a few times.
Anyone else get these CKP codes before?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:30 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of flooring it and hoping the fuel cut-off kicks in, just rev it to about 3500 and hold it steady there for a few seconds. That should allow it to go on and finish the learn procedure.

I've found that works just as well, without the worry of reving it thru the roof.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I"m throwing some weird 666 code
Old 04-26-2004, 12:08 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Speartech
Instead of flooring it and hoping the fuel cut-off kicks in, just rev it to about 3500 and hold it steady there for a few seconds. That should allow it to go on and finish the learn procedure.

I've found that works just as well, without the worry of reving it thru the roof.
I don't floor it, I slowly take it up to 4000RPMs like it says on EFI Live.
I'll try only up to 3500RPMs though.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Sometimes the crank relearn is necessary after a PCM is flashed with GM's calibration.

Just keep trying i'm sure you'll get it.

allen
Old 04-26-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Everytime we tried the relearn it went like this....

Instructions said to wait till all 4 boxs are green then press the start and raise the RPM to 4000, then the fuel should cut off and thats when you let off and let the PCM learn. We followed the instructions just like they said and it wouldent finished the learn ... we would be reving to 4000 for 10+ seconds and it wouldnet finish till Chingy let off the gas....

Isnt that the way your supposed to do it?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:11 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by FarmTruc
Sometimes the crank relearn is necessary after a PCM is flashed with GM's calibration.

Just keep trying i'm sure you'll get it.

allen
I'll keep trying. Will I have to do it again when I get that new tune? Has it shipped out yet? I think this PCM is screwy or something.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Got this info from another board incase anybody needs it...

DTC P1336
Circuit Description
The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor sends pulses to the PCM as the reluctor wheel teeth rotate past the CKP sensor. The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the CKP pulses to synchronize the ignition and fuel injector operation, and to time the interval between each CKP pulse. The PCM determines when an excessive change in crankshaft speed occurs by comparing each new time interval with the previous interval. A misfire causes an unexpected change in the crankshaft speed. A certain amount of acceleration/deceleration is expected between each firing stroke, but if the crankshaft speed changes more than an expected amount, the PCM interprets this as a misfire. The interval between CKP sensor pulses is extremely small. At high engine speeds, slight variations in the following components make misfire detection difficult:

Crankshaft
Reluctor wheel
CKP sensor
The PCM learns variations during the crankshaft position system variation learning procedure. The PCM compensates for these variations when performing misfire calculations. Only a scan tool can command the PCM to perform the crankshaft position system variation learning procedure again.

Perform the learning procedure after the following actions:

A PCM replacement
Any operation or repair involving the crankshaft, the CKP sensor, or the CKP sensor to reluctor wheel gap relationship
An engine replacement
The ignition switch is in the ON position until the battery is drained.

Important
A PCM power disconnect with the ignition ON may erase the stored pulse value and set the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1336.

Disconnecting the PCM will not erase the learned crankshaft position system variation as long as the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

Important
Reprogramming the PCM does not require running the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure unless the PCM is new.

The DTC P1336 sets if the crankshaft position system variation is not within an acceptable range, or can not be learned.

Conditions for Running the DTC
There are no crankshaft position (CKP) or camshaft position (CMP) sensor DTCs.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM has not learned the crankshaft position system variation.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

Important
Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM connector gaskets when diagnosing/replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent water intrusion into the PCM.

If the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure cannot be learned, check for the following conditions:

A chipped or damaged reluctor wheel
Incorrect alignment of the CKP sensor to the reluctor wheel
Excessive crankshaft run-out
Interference in the signal circuit to the CKP sensor
Incorrect ratio of crankshaft to camshaft pulses

Important
If the PCM receives an incorrect crankshaft to camshaft pulse ratio the PCM will not allow the scan tool to enable the learn procedure.

The misfire diagnostic is not operable when the engine speed is above 1,000 RPM and DTC P1336 is set.

When the learn procedure is in progress and the engine speed is at 4,000 RPM, a decrease in engine speed will occur. During the engine coast down, the PCM monitors the CKP sensor signal and stores the pattern. This pattern is used to determine if the crankshaft speed variations are due to misfire.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

The PCM enables the learn process after the engine coolant temperature of 65°C (150°F) is reached. Engine deceleration occurs when the learn procedure is in progress. The PCM monitors and records the CKP sensor signal during engine coast-down conditions.

Test in Progress on the scan tool indicates the PCM is performing the learn procedure. The learn procedure will not be allowed if the PCM receives the following information:

An incorrect crankshaft to camshaft pulse ratio
An incorrect transmission range signal input
Corrupted Class 2 communication
No change in the brake switch input
If a repair is necessary due to a condition which prevented the learn procedure from enabling, the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learning Procedure must be performed.

The ignition must be in the OFF position for at least 10 seconds after the learn procedure is complete and the engine RPM has returned to idle. The PCM saves the signal data after these conditions are met.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Tried it again last night, still no luck
Guess I'll just wait for my updated Nelson tune...
Anyone else have this problem?