Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: How my TB Port work?
Horrible...its ruined...
11.76%
ok..you could of done better.
17.65%
Pretty good, i'd put it on my truck.
58.82%
Professional grade..i'd buy one!
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Thruck throttle body Port work

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good how to do u do it ur self???
Old 04-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Hey

To put a knife edge on the TB blade easy i would use a dremel with 120grit sander and slowly sharpen it that was. Or you can use a filer it would take awhile but same results. I also didnt need to do any tuning i just let my computer adjust to it for a couple of min. and wala it worked.

Yes i did all this work. Shows how bordom can sometimes be benifical.

Brandon
Old 04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cut the shaft in half on my extra tb today, but have to go buy or find a dremel before I can finish the job. thanks for the motivation, I was planning on paying someone to do it
Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man, your welcome it feels much better when your done and you notice you just did a 150$ port job for free.(well free for me i already had dremel/bits) just had to have some time and patiences. I just bought a port TB from a ls1tech sponser for 60$ wasnt to happy didnt do half of what he said because it was a DBW TB.. Thats what made me do this TB. Any more question down the line give me a shout.

Brandon
Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Did some measurements just now and I found that by removing half the shaft and trimming the bolts, you increase the cross-sectional area by 7.58%. This was done using a ruler, so nothing precise. But good increase for free!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

I don't mean to steal a thread but I have a question. I've been meaning to port the t.b. on my 07. I was looking at it the other day and with the truck off, of course, lol the blade is at an incline, so there is and opening at the bottom of the blade (figured it's probably for idle). My question is if i port it that opening is going to be a lot bigger, will the computer adjust for this and close the blade up or what happens... I'm looking to port it this coming weekend so any help would be greatly appreciated. T.I.A
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlueSS
I don't mean to steal a thread but I have a question. I've been meaning to port the t.b. on my 07. I was looking at it the other day and with the truck off, of course, lol the blade is at an incline, so there is and opening at the bottom of the blade (figured it's probably for idle). My question is if i port it that opening is going to be a lot bigger, will the computer adjust for this and close the blade up or what happens... I'm looking to port it this coming weekend so any help would be greatly appreciated. T.I.A
There are a few how-to threads about porting a TB if you do a search. But rule of thumb is to steer clear of porting near the TB blade b/c as you predicted, this will affect the idle. If you port too close to the blade, the truck will get too much air and will idle high... and you have ruined the TB.

What you want to do is smooth the area around the mouth of the TB, but the metal is thin, so don't get carried away. But don't mess with the lip leading to the blade to maintain the idle at a normal level.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an FYI to those that have an air compressor, an air die grinder with a 2" sanding drum cuts down on the time to do this mod. I've got a how to in this forum too with some pics, so search on my user name if you want some more information.

Just FYI too, you want to fill in the vent tube opening with some type of epoxy (JB Weld, plumber's putty, etc) then redrill the hole. No need to use tubing as some people do there, but no drawbacks if you choose to do so vs. not using it. Also, you can get very small button head type screws at Home Depot for less than a buck, and use some locktite blue or red to keep the screws in place. Other than those few tidbits, nice job!