Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tick Performance exaggerated performance claims

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 05:35 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Your calibration is untouched in almost all areas that deal with idle. The VE surface is also untouched, which gen 3 is particularly sensitive to at low speed. I hope you didn't pay much for this.
I pulled a 2004 4.8 auto from HP Tuners repository that is "supposedly" stock. I'm seeing the same on VE untouched but on the idle airflow a lot of the idle airflow adaptives are either different factory numbers or the tuner was monkeying with them. The base running idle airflow (BRAF) has been adjusted but my guess is to a "canned" number and not plotted against the idle airflow histogram in the scanner (because correct idle airflow config takes a good amount of time).

For those that are unfamiliar with HP Tuners... when you compare two different tune files, the tables that show green are different between the two tunes being compared.

Stock 4.8 Idle Airflow File

Tick Performance exaggerated performance claims-5md1v36.jpg

Op's Tuned File

Tick Performance exaggerated performance claims-k4kazn8.jpg

Stock 4.8 Base Running Idle Airflow (BRAF)

Tick Performance exaggerated performance claims-hvhtvow.jpg

Op's Base Running Idle Airflow (BRAF)

Tick Performance exaggerated performance claims-rzabyld.jpg

Old 10-29-2021, 06:44 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
I pulled a 2004 4.8 auto from HP Tuners repository that is "supposedly" stock. I'm seeing the same on VE untouched but on the idle airflow a lot of the idle airflow adaptives are either different factory numbers or the tuner was monkeying with them. The base running idle airflow (BRAF) has been adjusted but my guess is to a "canned" number and not plotted against the idle airflow histogram in the scanner (because correct idle airflow config takes a good amount of time).

Don't forget these guys... GM idle stability requirements actually state that these calibrations alone should be capable of producing a stable idle, spark control disabled. They can also be used in tandem with the throttle follower (stock in the OPs cal) to produce a very sharp tip-in throttle response.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fast355
I don't know what part of the world you are in, but the Thorley headers I have on my Express van have held up better than the OEM manifolds which both cracked at ~60K miles. Added alot of torque in the low-midrange right where the engine spends 95% of its time. I put Thorley tri-ys on my old G20 van too when it had a 305. Gave that engine alot more torque as well. Cruising at 70 mph, went from downshifting to 3rd on many uphill pulls to holding overdrive up the same hills. The ones on the Express are CARB approved and I believe the ones they make for the 99-06 trucks are as well. They come with pipes that connect directly to the OEM cats. Tri-ys really help scavenge the cylinders in the low-midrange.
Yes, Tri-Ys had definitely crossed my mind as something that may help make this exhaust-heavy cam happy. In particular, I’ve always understood that they help low RPM torque (as you said), and that’s exactly what I’m after. Others have thoughts/opinions on that?

Keep the input coming on the tune. I’m keeping a list to go over with whoever I find for another tuner.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Unrelated to your specific build, however still useful- I am looking at LS headers right now for a swap, and tri-y's seem to only be a DIY thing. I have yet to find them off the shelf for our trucks. Everything is equal length that I am seeing
Old 10-31-2021, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I have been following along this thread and would just add my 2-cents, I have a 2007 4wd crew cab with a 4.8, best upgrade swapping to 4.10 gears. I also have a PCM of NC 93 tune and a cold air intake. My next step is headers down the road since I was told that would be any easy extra ponies with out cracking the motor open.

Gears woke this truck up huge IMO since these engines only move after 3,500-4,000 rpms.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Unrelated to your specific build, however still useful- I am looking at LS headers right now for a swap, and tri-y's seem to only be a DIY thing. I have yet to find them off the shelf for our trucks. Everything is equal length that I am seeing
Doug Thorley makes them from 99-2013 and they are the same ones between those years. Looks like i was wrong on the LS trucks being smog legal ones. I forget the cat location necessitates moving the cats on long tube designs on the trucks.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...silverado-1500

I have seen people knock the tri-ys because they lack some of the top-end hp improvement of a 1-7/8" primary long tube. They fail to look at the average torque gain from say 2,000-5,000 rpm where the tri-ys smoke the standard long tubes and are far more benificial in a truck.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Thanks for the link! I didn't say they didn't exist, just that I hadn't seen them.

You got a dyno graph by chance showing the midrange gained by those? At $800 a set, I can almost buy 2 sets of TSP 1 7/8 equal lengths, so the DTs better come out swinging from a $/tq standpoint
Old 10-31-2021, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 149 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks for the link! I didn't say they didn't exist, just that I hadn't seen them.

You got a dyno graph by chance showing the midrange gained by those? At $800 a set, I can almost buy 2 sets of TSP 1 7/8 equal lengths, so the DTs better come out swinging from a $/tq standpoint
For what vehicle exactly? These come with the y-pipe for a truck. Once you add the y-pipe to the TSPs they're very close.

Last edited by 68Formula; 10-31-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1-7/8 headers on an engine that is only 36.75 cubic inches per cylinder that is not even turning 6,000 rpm is akin to shooting yourself in the foot and double so when that engine is over cammed. I have not seen exact charts from the LS truck crowd but i have seen them on both a 6.1L Hemi as well as a 6.2L. The 6.2L was in a G8. Both the 6.1 and 6.2 saw gains starting just over 2,000 rpm and had 25-30 ft/lbs increase across the whole powerband. The G8 still on the factory tune ran a 12.66 @ 110 on factory tires after the headers went on.

Quick Reply: Tick Performance exaggerated performance claims