Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Time to cam sonoma texas speed-228R anyone have it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I havent ordered the converter yet guy at circle D said I could go up to 3200 with the trailblazer 278 converter. I'll opt for a 3200. I've enjoyed the sleeper effect of a quiet exhaust in a 6.0 sonoma but it's time for a change it's been status quo since I finished it sometime in late 08 early 09 and has been a stone reliable daily driver as it was.

Whats the overall thoughts on the 228 based on the overall parts in the truck should it prove to be a nice all around cam. I'm after a noticeable lope, decent torque down low to get moving and fairly auto tranny friendly. As far as the LSA what will be gained lost etc going with 112 over a 114?
Thats the same converter I have. The lsa is only a idle thing I went 112. My truck is used as my company truck and i drive ALOT. Since the cam swap Ive done nothing but change the oil and drive the **** out of it. Its not uncommom for me to put 3000 miles a week on the truck and have had no drivabilty issues. Runs great and fyi i the motor had 198,000 miles when i did the swap. I have clocked 10,000 since then. I did cam, springs, oil pump, lifters, lifter trays, headers, stall, and e fans. I will be spraying a 200 shot in the near future just to see what happens. I have a lq9 ready to go if I scatter the 5.3 in a million peices. I beat the living hell out of this 5.3 and will continue to unil it blows. I want to see what the limits are of a high milage motor to prove a point.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

look into a good longtube header after you get the cam taken care of IMO.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by skinny chicken
Thats the same converter I have. The lsa is only a idle thing I went 112. My truck is used as my company truck and i drive ALOT. Since the cam swap Ive done nothing but change the oil and drive the **** out of it. Its not uncommom for me to put 3000 miles a week on the truck and have had no drivabilty issues. Runs great and fyi i the motor had 198,000 miles when i did the swap. I have clocked 10,000 since then. I did cam, springs, oil pump, lifters, lifter trays, headers, stall, and e fans. I will be spraying a 200 shot in the near future just to see what happens. I have a lq9 ready to go if I scatter the 5.3 in a million peices. I beat the living hell out of this 5.3 and will continue to unil it blows. I want to see what the limits are of a high milage motor to prove a point.
LSA is alot more then a 'idle' thing:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...8/#post3572497
Old 03-27-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Lower the LSA IE 112 more lope correct. higher LSA smoother idle.

LT's in a s-10 are just too big of a pita for what I use it. I've got the sanderson shorties and dual magnaflow spun metallic cats with a dual in out magnaflow muffler
Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Lower the LSA IE 112 more lope correct. higher LSA smoother idle.

LT's in a s-10 are just too big of a pita for what I use it. I've got the sanderson shorties and dual magnaflow spun metallic cats with a dual in out magnaflow muffler
Thats correct, but there is other things affected then just idle. From the link I posted earlier, I bolded some important aspects:

.........................Varying Lobe Separation Angle.....................................
...............Tighten............................ ..............Widen
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moves Torque to Lower RPM..............Raise Torque to Higher RPM
Increases Maximum Torque................Reduces Maximum Torque
Narrow Powerband...........................Broadens Power Band
Builds Higher Cylinder Pressure............Reduce Maximum Cylinder Pressure
Increase Chance of Engine Knock........Decrease Chance of Engine Knock
Increase Cranking Compression...........Decrease Cranking Compression
Increase Efective Compression...........Decrease Efective Compression
Idle Vacuum is Reduced....................Idle Vacuum is Increased
Idle Quality Suffers..........................Idle Quality Improves
Open Valve-Overlap Increases...........Open Valve-Overlap Decreases
Closed Valve-Overlap Increases.........Closed Valve-Overlap Decreases
Natural EGR Efect Increases..............Natural EGR Efect is Reduced
Decreases Piston-to-Valve Clerance....Increases Piston-to-Valve Clerance
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you pick a cam based on idle, you may not be happy with the end result.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm surprised in such a small light truck you think a 6.0 with the z06 cam has no low end. TBSS have plenty of giddy up off the line, but they're running a higher compression. Do you currently have the stock stall in there?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The LSA on the ls6 cam I have is 116 so based off of the above and what the guys at TSP are saying going with a 112 LSA looks like it will address my major gripes of the LS6 cam. Mainly it's a dog out of the hole if you nail it off of a light. But it could be crippled to because right now I have a converter out of a 05 4wd truck in it also. Soo with a cam and converter swap she should be a complete different animal. Fingers crossed
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

With a good converter alone it will be a different animal. My 5.3 blows my tires off. No problem getting going from a dig. Once my turbo goes in, I don't know what I will do
Old 03-28-2012, 01:30 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenc
With a good converter alone it will be a different animal. My 5.3 blows my tires off. No problem getting going from a dig. Once my turbo goes in, I don't know what I will do
Should be pretty decent with a turbo, would work good with nitrous too.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

The 228R is a good well proven cam. The big negative I see with sticking it in a "stock" 6.0 LQ4 which is only 9.4:1 compression ratio is the DCR with the 228R will be a low 7.3:1 which takes a hit in the torque department.

Quick Reply: Time to cam sonoma texas speed-228R anyone have it?