Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Are TOG Headers Truly TUNED?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are TOG Headers Truly TUNED?

I finally got my TOGS in on Friday and they're in the truck.
Before I put them in, I was really inspecting them, and they don't seem to be tuned.

A true tuned header means all the pipes equal the same length up to the collector, and in the case of TOGS, they didn't seem at all the same length. On both sides, the front cylinder tubes were obviously much longer than the rear cylinder tubes.
I thought the whole purpose of headers is to have equal length tubes to get a vacuum on the cylinders that are not firing at the time to create a powerstroke. This is why they give a better gain, in addition to better flow.

TOGS website does not claim that they are truly tuned.....although Dynatechs and FLP's do claim to be true tuned headers, but more $$ of course.

I am thinking of selling these and getting Dynatechs?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmbutler
I finally got my TOGS in on Friday and they're in the truck.
Before I put them in, I was really inspecting them, and they don't seem to be tuned.

A true tuned header means all the pipes equal the same length up to the collector, and in the case of TOGS, they didn't seem at all the same length. On both sides, the front cylinder tubes were obviously much longer than the rear cylinder tubes.
I thought the whole purpose of headers is to have equal length tubes to get a vacuum on the cylinders that are not firing at the time. This is why they give a better gain, in addition to better flow.

TOGS website does not claim that they are truly tuned.....although Dynatechs and FLP's do claim to be true tuned headers, but more $$ of course.

I am thinking of selling these and getting Dynatechs?
Okay, I did just find it on their website:
"The idea behind an exhaust header is to eliminate the manifold's back pressure. Instead of a common manifold that all of the cylinders share, each cylinder gets its own exhaust pipe. These pipes come together in a larger pipe called the collector. The individual pipes are cut and bent so that each one is the same length as the others. By making them the same length, it guarantees that each cylinder's exhaust gases arrive in the collector spaced out equally so there is no back pressure generated by the cylinders sharing the collector."

Maybe its just an illusion, but they definitely don't look the same length??
...even understanding they have to bend and twist the other tubes to compensate for the long front tubes on the headers.

Oh well....I was just curious to see what anyone else that has them has to say.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just posted this on the other thread:

I forget what you call it, but the primaries are different size pipe so that they don't have to be equal length. The different size tubes supposedly makes up for the difference in length in the primaries.

I noticed a big difference when I put them on my relativly stock 5.3.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I believe the term you are looking for is 'stepped primaries' Even though the primaries are not truely the exact same length, the different sized tubing used in different lengths gives each primary the same effective volume. This creates a higher velocity in the longer tubes so that the pulse timing is effectively the same for each primary at the collector. At least that is the way I understand it anyway.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds good to me ....
Old 04-20-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flyer
Sounds good to me ....
Thanks guys.....makes me feel a little better.