Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Toluene or Xylene question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toluene or Xylene question

what would happen if i sprayed toluene or xylene thru my SMC alcohol kit instead of alcohol? Whould i be increasing my octane rating?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

anyone
Old 03-22-2005, 07:58 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I am not sure of the exact octane of methanol or xylene for that matter. There are lotsa posts about it floating around, I just can't remember the exact numbers. I think the cooling effect of the alcohol helps as much in the water injection systems as the octane does and I don't think you would have that with the xylene. Whenever I am curious about something such as this and no one else seems to have 1st hand knowledge, I usually just go and try it. If you have a way of monitoring IAT's it would be interesting to see any difference.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think it will cool anything very much but im sure it would up you octane Ive HEARD of people runnin it in there fuel as octane booster and that most octane boosters are like 98% xylene or toluene
Old 03-22-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

I had a thread somewhat similar to this. It's a breakdown of everything pretty much.
Check is out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=toulene
Philip S.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

i guess my question is: would the toluene or xylene effectively increase my octane rating by spraying it directly into the intake? Maybe i'll try it later. All i know is, even with the alcohol kit (denatured alcohol), i'm still seeing 7deg KR. I hope it's false knock.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Paint Thinner??...Damn...what will they think of next??

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2005, 01:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I have been using xylene for probably 5 years now to raise my octane. Yes, it will raise your octane when you induce it into the engine, no matter what the delivery method. The question is how will you know the ratio of gas to "booster"? I will admit that I have read very little on alcohol injection, but what I have read never said anything about denatured alcohol. I thought most guys used blue windshield fluid (which has methanol) Maybe the type alcohol you are using is part of the prob? Just throwing out ideas-like I said this is something I know little about.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

i've heard of guys using washer fluid too. The instructions that came with the SMC kit say: "for best results fill the tank with DENATURED ALCOHOL from a home supply store like Lowe's or Home Depot. (around $9 per gallon) You can also use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in either 70 or 90% strength. The DENATURED alcohol works better."

I'm not being a dick by putting denatrued alcohol in caps, that's exactly what it says in the instructions. LOL
Old 03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol, Reagent Alcohol, Grain Alcohol, EtOH) has been the topic of many automobile researchers in the sense of using its two higher blends, E-85 and E-95 as fuel...Alcohol, Dehydrated Absolute is 200 proof and contains a flash-point of aprox. 13.5 degrees Celsius (57 degrees Fahrenheit). There is this other one in which ethanol is made into an ether: ethyltertiary-butyl ether (ETBE) in which its properties can be used to make oxygenated gasoline...I don't know if this will work because it will reduce the volatility of gasoline...you decide...Now Methanol (CH3OH) shares similar properties with ethanol...Its former name was "Wood" Alcohol...why? well, it's obvious...Anyways, it is used to produce the oxygenated Methyltertiary-butyl ether, which is no other than the gasoline "cleaner"...Xylene (Dimethylbenzene, Xylol...etc.) has a flash point of about 156 degrees fahrenheit, and automobiles run at slightly higher temperatures....so it don't know guys, if you want some true performance just use some solid jet fuel with ammonium perchlorate as the oxidizer...that'll give you some good boost....laterz...

SLA

ps: sorry about the long paragraph...i just like to share stuff like that...

Quick Reply: Toluene or Xylene question