Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Toning down 4" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree that you are going to have to get the exit out from under the truck to get rid of the droan. I have a big 4x28x7 Magnaflow with 4" over the axle exiting at the bed corner. Since it doesn't come completely out from underneath the truck, I still get a bit of droan on acceleration and in the 2K droan zone. I can go over bridge grates and it gets quieter so that tells me the exit is the contributor to the sound increase. Since you can't clear a round 4" with your drop, maybe try using oval tubing to get over the axle. A 3x4 oval will flow just slightly less than a round 4", so anything larger will out flow round 4". If you can't do over the axle and out, use a turn down and clock it so it projects the sound out under the rocker panel. This may be futile with a 6" drop though as it leaves a small window between the ground and the rocker thus still trapping a lot of sound under the truck.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about this a lot myself. I have the same exhaust setup as op and I have thought of splitting the 4" into dual 3" after the big magnaflow so I can get over my axle and maybe some small mufflers or resonators over the axle on each pipe? Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
He already said over the axle didn't work because of his drop. Is there any space before the muffler to run a resonator or another muffler? You could add a 90* bend after the muffler to make it a side exit before the rear tire. That should help with drone a little.
I agree with this. get it out from under the truck, and before the tire sounds like the best/only option. How is the sound level from outside the truck? Does it seem reasonable? If its loud outside the truck you may just need a slightly larger muffler, but if not then this will most likely work/help. I have a friend with a custom set up like this and it is honestly the only aftermarket exhaust I have heard that doesnt drone, except for a corsa.

Originally Posted by Atomic
My suggestion is to make it work. This hobby wouldnt be nearly as rewarding if it was easy would it?
This sums it up to a T... we all have our frustrations, and frankly they are way more common than any of us would ever like to admit, but it makes the wins so much more rewarding... You'll get there.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock diesel muffler with a cut out imho....

I run well over a 36 inch muffler setup combined together and i have slight drone that annoys me. Mine goes over the axle and dumps by the spare. Ill be installing a tip but if that doesnt fix it im going with a stock muffler
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
Stock diesel muffler with a cut out imho....

I run well over a 36 inch muffler setup combined together and i have slight drone that annoys me. Mine goes over the axle and dumps by the spare. Ill be installing a tip but if that doesnt fix it im going with a stock muffler
It says 3" exhaust in your sig. Also im not going to a stock muffler, too restrictive.

Just so its clear, the sound level prior to hacking off the tailipe was good. And interestingly enough there was no drone. But now its just stupid.

I like the idea of dual 3" over the axle or flattened pipe. Problem is I have to drop my right rear another inch because of chevy lean. So thats 7", making an over the axle pipe even less likely. Looks like pre axle will be the way to go. Under the rocker in front of the tire wont work, pipe would basically be on the ground. Im actually wondering if exiting pipe thru the side of the bed would be the way to go.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So basically you are SOL if you can not get a pipe over the axle, do not want to use a stock muffler. I would not go cutting the bed up to run a pipe out of it, but thats me. Dual 3 sounds like thats the way to go..
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just go under the axle and put a droop limiting strap on it for when you jack it up.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM

I swapped to 4" on tuesday of last week and havent updated my sig.

Mbrp muffler with a magnaflow resonator/muffler. With a duramax rear section over the axle.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM

Name:  Screenshot_2013-02-19-22-09-34.png
Views: 41
Size:  460.7 KB
Name:  Screenshot_2013-02-19-22-10-02.png
Views: 85
Size:  395.8 KB
Name:  Screenshot_2013-02-19-22-09-24.png
Views: 36
Size:  520.0 KB
Just for reference....if you want em deleted lemme know.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Just go under the axle and put a droop limiting strap on it for when you jack it up.

Quick Reply: Toning down 4" exhaust