Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

torque converter acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter acting funny

ok guys, last week after doing my homemade intake i took the truck for a spin after it warmed up. one of the times when i punched it the truck slipped real,real bad going from 2 to 3. it did it two other times that day and those were at only half to 3/4 throttle. since then the tc has been locking up(it seems) and unlocking when it pleases. sometimes it doesnt unlock when im slowing down until i get to a complete stop(engine burbles while i slow down). other times while im cruising around it just locks and unlocks irregularly(usually about 50mph) and you can feel it and see the tach move with it. anyone got any ideas on what is going on. please let me know. need to know if i have really messed something up.thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

mine has been doing the same thing for about a year now. it locks and unlocks at cruising speed. i think it is the clutch. not sure though. it does get annoying though
Old 12-21-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool!!!....not really. just went to walmart. truck wouldnt go from third to fourth . switched out of third and freewheeled . didnt feel like slipping though . when i would gas it it would rev to like 3k and i was just coasting. slowed down a little, it grabbed third and went into fourth ok. drove normal on the way home. any more ideas guys
Old 12-21-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
cool!!!....not really. just went to walmart. truck wouldnt go from third to fourth . switched out of third and freewheeled . didnt feel like slipping though . when i would gas it it would rev to like 3k and i was just coasting. slowed down a little, it grabbed third and went into fourth ok. drove normal on the way home. any more ideas guys
what TC do you have? how long have you had it for? how long ago did it start slipping?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Try taking your homemade intake off and putting it back to stock and see if that fixes your problem. There is something about the MAF getting too much air flow or maybe some turbulance and issuing weird readings to the PCM. The PCM may be retarding timing or trying to reduce line pressures in the trans and screwing the operation of the trans up. I am not really an expert on why this may happen but I read about it in some other posts. Just something to try to see if you can figure out why your trans is not working as it should.
Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

trans is completely stock with 67k. started slipping the day i did the intake(last week). maybe try the old intake when weather gets better. need some help guys. prolly fixin to buy a tranny if i cant figure it out. help!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to let everyone know i also cut the resonator box off the factory tubing. is this an issue???
Old 12-22-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-22-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
just to let everyone know i also cut the resonator box off the factory tubing. is this an issue???

did you seal it up?

do you still have the MAF screen in?

is your intake secure to the TB?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
did you seal it up? check

do you still have the MAF screen in? check

is your intake secure to the TB?
check

Quick Reply: torque converter acting funny