Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Torque Converter installation into 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter installation into 4wd

Im about to install my TT3000 but it is a little intimidating, there is a lot of work that needs to be done in order to do it on the 4wd. Does anyone have any tips or a link to a tech page? I basically know what im doing, im just hoping some of the guys that have done it already can give me a little input on what to look out for, thanks
Old 08-22-2003, 02:47 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Torque Converter installation into 4wd

I did mine in my garage, with hand tools, a floor jack, and a set of rhino ramps. It was a pain in the butt. I would not do it again without better tools and a trans jack. It basically took most of the weekend. I paid $250 to a transmission shop to have them remove the trans and converter before I sold my truck. I won't think twice about paying to have my converter installed in my SS.

If you have help, plenty of free time, a lift, and the tools, go for it. Take your time, watch out for the wire harnesses, and have plenty of clean up rags available. I thought the hardest part would be getting the upper bolts off the bell housing, but those weren't any problem. Getting the darn trans fluid dipstick back in place was my biggest problem. Well, my biggest problem was dropping my transfer case off the stupid floor jack and breaking off the auto 4wd motor. Don't get me wrong, I love doing the work myself and was glad I did that once, but once was enough in my garage.

If you do it, have fun. Ask Parish8 what he thinks about the process.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

well i was gonna do it at work. we have a lift, so i have that to my advantage.

you took the t-case off, and then the trans, or did you pull it all at once?
Old 08-22-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took mine down t-case and all. If you're doing it by yourself, I'd recommend dropping the t-case first. The unstable weight makes it hard to manuever the trans around by yourself. It took me about 2 hours to drop the trans at my shop. Like BigTex said, carefull with the wiring. One tip I can give you is remove the PRNDL switch instead of trying to disconnect the harness. I've heard of some people having the connector stick/melt to the switch, so when they tried to disconnect it, the connector cracked off. This almost happened to me. Good luck and take your time.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:45 PM
single digit dreamer

i have lots of practice with my truck, it is a crapy job, no fun at all. my only advice is to rent/buy a tranny jack and make sure you have some help when you drop/reinstall the transfer case, it is heavy and prety much needs to be manhandled into place.

dont forget about that top center bellhousing bolt, i didn't even know there was a bolt there. if your not sure if you want to do it yourself then you probaly dont want to do it yourself, that $250 might be money well spent.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:57 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I was fortunate enough to have the neutral safety switch connector stuck to the switch. It didn't help me ripping out a couple wires trying to get it off. Took me a little while to fix the wiring afterwards.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

I got it in last night. It really wasnt that hard at all. It was a little time consuming but Im glad i did it myself. There is definately no way I would have done this if I didnt have access to the lift and everything at work.

Thanks for the advice, it definately woke the truck up
Old 08-23-2003, 09:07 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Did you buy that used Procharger from LOTSOFN? I was thinking about it really hard, but the 10:1 stock compression scared me. Too many issued with ATIs and the extra compression won't help. If I were ready to tear into the motor and build it for boost, I'd go with the Procharger kit over any other.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:54 PM
single digit dreamer

how long did it take you? i got it down to about 6 hours , on my garage floor, what a crapy job that is.

what do you think of the 3000? not anywhere to high huh?
Old 08-24-2003, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

We got it done in about 5 hours, but we really took our time, Also i was at work, so i didnt get to dedicate all my time to doing it non stop. It wasnt as bad as I thought and im glad i did it myself because i know its done right.

I love the converter, it feels a little loose, but ill get used to it, and once the lockup kicks in its nice.

It does flash up to about 3500 RPMs off the line, what a difference. I love it, i had a huge smile on my face when i got on it from a stop

BigTex, yes i did buy that procharger. It should be shipped in a few days

I cant wait for that thing. I am a little worried about the compression issue, but im gonna have it professionally tuned and head work and a cam are in the very near future.

Im gonna see if i can drop the compression at all with some headwork or something.