Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Torque management w/ superchip tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque management w/ superchip tuner

I looked at Superchips website and it says kind of vaguely that their tuner(the one like the HPP that is handheld) will remove "On some vehicles we can also remove most of the torque management along with firming up the shifts and raising the shift points on most automatics." Does this mean it will work on our LS1 trucks? I got linked to dealer in my area when I called Superchips, and the guy did not have a clue. I don't think he knoew what Torque management even is. He said he would call them asn ask about it. Anyone here have this tuner? Can you tell me about it? I have the HPPIII, but the TM is still there. If the Superchips is better, I would sell the HPPIII and get one.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Torque management w/ superchip tuner

Well, I wrote them, and as you might have guessed, they were little help. Here is a copy of my q's to them and their meager answers.
Hi there, I have a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado, 5.3 auto, ext cab. I have a few little mods and free mods, and a Hypertech PPIII. I see that your microtuner for my truck may be capable of removing the torque managent that kicks in when shifting, etc. The only answer I found on your website was
"On some vehicles we can also remove most of the torque management along with firming up the shifts and raising the shift points on most automatics. "
Does this mean on my specific application, will the torque management be removed? Also, will the top speed limiter allow me to raise the top speed to 128 MPH, like the HPPIII? Does it also do speedo changes, shift pints,shift firmness, etc.? Thanks in advance! I am interested in buying one of these, but would like more info! Sam Uriarte

To: samuriarte@gci.net
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 11:51 AM
Subject: RE:

Hi

Yes, the torque management is reduced on the Silverados and the speed limiter can be removed

Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 3:52 PM
To: support@superchips.com
Subject: Re:

Can you be more specific on "reduced"?.........also

Does it also do speedo changes, shift pints,shift firmness, etc.? Thanks in advance! I am interested in buying one of these, but would like more info! Sam Uriarte

When you say "We can correct for tire height and gear changes. Raise shift points and firm up shifts on automatics"
does that mean that I can use the micro tuner to do that, or that is done if I send in the PCM for a custom tuning job?
----- Original Message -----
To: samuriarte@gci.net
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 12:03 PM
Subject: RE:

Hi

No, we reduce the amount of torque reduction. The specific amount is dependant on the vehicle and we don't give out the specifics of our tuning. We can correct for tire height and gear changes. Raise shift points and firm up shifts on automatics.

On a basically stock vehicle using the Max Micro Tuner, the end user can adjust for the tires and gears. If you have a modified vehicle then the changes are only made in the programming by us. Shift points and firmness are only done by us.
Can anyone say "WEAK" I guess I will forget the Superchips tuner for $419.00!!!
I am sure their custom programs are Great, but this is a good example of the kind of service and info to expect from some of these aftermarket companies! Latez. Sam
Old 03-05-2002, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used Superchips products in two (non-GM) vehicles. I was pleased the first time, but on the second go-around, I had to call tech support with some questions. The guy (Mike, the owner of SC, I think) was INCREDIBLY rude to me, interrupted me, and basically told me I didn't know what I was talking about. I would not use their products again.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE]Originally posted by samuriarte:
QUOTE]

I replied about this over at ls1.com and yes, they remove about 98% of torque management.
I also had superchips for my t-bird and after 2yrs all of a sudden my rev limit was 4k. I bought a hypertech that sucked then remembered superchips had a lifetime warranty. I sent it back and they sent me a brand new chip. No problems.