Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Towing Questions? (Sorry so long...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing Questions? (Sorry so long...)

We currently have a 27' camper, but are replacing it this spring, most likely with a 29'-31' with a slider. I know the 6.0 will do fine with the larger camper on the flats, but I'm concerned about long-distance, mountainous trips. I almost pulled the trigger on a Duramax yesterday, but someone came in a put an $8,000 deposit on it as we were coming up with a trade value I could accept with my rectal integrity intact.

I was told that a diesel could be prone to fuel system problems if it sits for long periods. My truck is only driven occasionally, so this is a concern, if true. Also, I have no familiarity with diesels at all, so maintenance, etc. would be a new chapter.

Just how bad is the gas mileage on the 8.1? I really liked the power of the big block when I drove one a few years back, but I've heard they're only good for single digit fuel economy. Before I'm attacked on this point, I don't expect anymore than 11 or12 MPG unladen, is this realistic?

Also, any concerns with the Allison? I've heard rumblings about issues with it.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

well my 2cents are the diesel would be th best bet.the alison's seem to be holding up better now.as far as fuel mileage i think my boss is getting 13 with the 8.1 without a trailer.duramaxes i am unsure about fuel mileage. maintenance--fuel filter,oil filter, and air filter. that is about it. they make good fuel additives for the fuel. that will help for sitting after a while.as long as you are using a good grade fuel there shouldnt be a problem. other than that just drive it once a week and get her hot and you will be ok. and if you want you can make her faster than your gasser.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:12 AM
7 Second Club

I have owned both a 8.1 and my current Duramax HD.The 8.1 would get 11mpg empty and between 6.5-8 mpg pulling my 28 ft car hauler.The Dmax gets 18-19 mpg empty and 12-13mpg pulling the trailer.Don't be concerned about fuel problem as long as you use fuel from a station that sells alot of diesel.My duramax isn't driven very much and works just fine.After have experience with both engines I will never buy another big-block in a pickup.If you didn't know a Duramax is quicker in the 1/4 mile stock and your a programmer away from big power.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:06 PM

If you rarely drive the truck I would keep what you have, you will get doinked on trade and so I don't see where you would save any money.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
If you rarely drive the truck I would keep what you have, you will get doinked on trade and so I don't see where you would save any money.
I'm taking a large camper for a cruise on Tuesday, burn up a half a tank or so with the 6.0. If I feel it's up to the task, I'll stick with it and go with a custom tune. If it feels weak, I'm going to get either a big block or Duramax while I can still get a reasonable trade value. Thanks to all for your replies. This forum is the best for tech-related info.

Mark
Old 01-05-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you decide to stick with the 6.0 (I would), there are many things you can do to bump up the power to make it an adequate tow vehicle. A bigger cam with long-tube headers and tuning would be a good start. One of the supercharger kits would really give the extra "umph" for the mountains.

I tow alot in the mountains with my mostly stock 99' 3/4 ton and it does very well for the most part. Above 9,000' I have to work the motor pretty hard with the rpms frequently above 4k but this generation small block seems to thrive in the upper revs. Tranny temps were a concern till I put on a B&M cooler to replace the OEM unit. I plan on going the cam/header route this spring myself.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

The duramax makes great power stock and unbelieveably sick power for $500 and 5 minutes in mods. It gets far better fuel economy than any gasser, and pulls better.

In the event that you decide that the 6.0 is not going to be sufficient, I wouldn't mess around modding it. You probably won't get it to tow nearly like a Dmax. If you want to tow big, I say get the Duramax...why play around.

Edit:I'm not trying to dog the 6.0 L engine, believe me. I'm just saying that the durmax is superior when it comes to towing is all.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:15 PM

I hear the 8.1 is a gas hog even when not towing.

What gearing do you have with your 6.0? I know some of them have 4.10's.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I hear the 8.1 is a gas hog even when not towing.

What gearing do you have with your 6.0? I know some of them have 4.10's.
It's got the 4.10 rear. I drove a DFmax after work today, and it felt really strong, but kind of ponderous at parking lot speeds. Out on the highway, it felt strong. Even the salesman tried to steer me away from the 8100. I want to keep the 6.0, but don't want to overwhelm/overwork it. I'll see what goes down tomorrow...
Old 01-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Did anyone see Trucks this weekend? Stacey installed the Edge programmer on a 2500HD crew cab short bed 4X4, and did some 1/4 mile runs afterwards. The first run was done with the programmer set on level 1 tune, it showed a 17.9 1/4 mile time, he then set it to level 5 ( 90HP/250ft/lb ) and it turned a 15.3 . I was just wondering if the 8.1 was really that slow, b/c many people say the Dmax can outrun a 8.1 with both engines in stock form, so if the Dmax is doing a 17.9 with level 1 tune I guess the 8.1 would have to be showing a 18.5 1/4 mile time?

Quick Reply: Towing Questions? (Sorry so long...)