Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

tq rocker arms????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverado2000
Well just went ahead and did what comp says, finger tighten then half a turn. Trucks starts faster, and revs good ill test drive it tomorrow dont wanna **** the neighbors off.
If its an LS motor you did that on you did it wrong UNLESS you have aftermarket adjustable rockers. if the lifter is getting pressed down too much you need shorter pushrods but remember the lifter should have SOME preload, so they should all press down at least a little. As far as measuring how much preload your getting you need to buy a pushrod length checker like the compcam one and see what your measurement is at 0 lash then add what you want for preload and thats the length pushrod you need.

LS motors factory rockers are non-adjustable thats why you measure with the tool because if you need any adjustment made it will be VIA a different length pushrod. If its all factory valvetrain (lifters,cam, rockers, heads), I would torque them all to the proper FT/LBS and not even think twice about it. once you change cams, mill heads, etc you need to start measuring.

Last edited by brandon_6667; 02-08-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know if you have the factory style non-adjustable rockers, or adjustable rocker arms.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by 01PewterWS6
LSx rockers are pretty fool-proof, torque to 22ft lbs bump it over a few times/run it and double check, no other adjustment in them other than making sure the pushrods are the right length if you changed up anything else in the valvetrain...
Exactly how I did mine. Tighten them down. Turn the engine over a few times, go check them again @ 22ft. Not really much to it. The old school way is to start on number 1 TDC, then do every one that way. These are in no way like that.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cam Texas speed touqer v.2
Lifters new oem
7.4 hardened push rods
Comp cams magnum 1.75 roller rockers
Valve springs Prc dual .650 kit

This may help. And I tried to tq them to 22 it just opens the valve all the way before I can get to 22...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silverado2000
Cam Texas speed touqer v.2
Lifters new oem
7.4 hardened push rods
Comp cams magnum 1.75 roller rockers
Valve springs Prc dual .650 kit

This may help. And I tried to tq them to 22 it just opens the valve all the way before I can get to 22...
if the lifter is at the top of a cam lobe it will open the valve while you tighten it. I turn the cam each time i tighten down a rocker to get that rocker's lifter down on the base circle so the valve spring wont be getting pushed down and add resistance to the bolt which in theory would throw off the ft/lb reading. Its not complicated at all once you understand it fully.

BTW, heres a link to another thread from a different forum where this guy is explaining how to tighten them down. HEREhttp://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=24221

Last edited by brandon_6667; 02-08-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are the rockers I have. Mine are adjustable. There are a couple problems here. For one, finger tight will easily push down the plunger in the lifter. You need to turn the nut by finger until it just touches. You can easily go too far, you are just taking all the lash away. Obviously do this off of the cam lobe. Now comp suggests to go 1/2 turn past then tighten down the poly lock. If they are adjustable (I assume they are, but may not be as I am not familiar with non adjustable Comp Magnums. If they have poly locks they are adjustable).

Here is where it is difference,non adjustable is simply torqued down, and that's it. The center of the rocker determines how the foot of the rocker (or roller on the rocker tip) hits the tip of the valve. You want the wear pattern in the center of the valve tip so that it is pushing the valve straight down in the guide. An adjustable rocker is set by you. You can raise or lower the center of the rocker and obtain a different footprint on the valve tip. Just like any other valve, you want it directly in the center. I would just loosely turn it down by finger until it touches, and go 1/2 turn past, and set it there. If you would like me to elaborate more, PM me. Do you indeed have poly locks?