Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Track better than Dyno...new 1/4 mile times

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track better than Dyno...new 1/4 mile times

Last year I ran 16.509 at 81.68mph....way to slow. So I installed my cam and tune since then and went to the dyno last week...210rwhp and 269tq. Man was I bummed. Decided to go to the track today to see what's up,and my best time was 15.684 at 89.59mph! My best top speed was 89.67 (15.805 1/4). (gained almost a second and 8 mph from cam and tune...not to shabby) 90mph was so close...

Didn't break the land speed record, but definitely saw some of the fruits of my labor (and wallet) at work

Funny thing is that my 60' times are almost identical to last year...a best of 2.408 as opposed to last year's best of 2.414 I guess it takes alot to get those big-**** BFG 285's rollin. I'm thinkin that a converter and long tubes will cure what ails me until I can work up the scratch for a 6.0. or a 408 stroker. I'm only a few thousand away from consistent 14's!

So what do you guys think? Which stall? What long tubes? Should I try to see if I could get someone to squeak a little more bottom end out of the PCM tune. Definitely wanna do the verter and long tubes together...since I gotta split the y-pipe anyway to do the trans(verter).
Old 05-07-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know the weight of your truck. Try putting your et and weight in the formula in this link and see what you get.
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
Old 05-07-2005, 10:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
If you know the weight of your truck. Try putting your et and weight in the formula in this link and see what you get.
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
That's pretty cool...not sure what the truck weighs though...I'm guessing around 45-4700 lbs? (shows my rear wheel hp at around 263...which is kinda where I thought it should be)
Old 05-08-2005, 03:58 AM
TECH Veteran

man, running 285's you may want to consider looking around for a 4.10 set. that is absolutely killing your times. i'm assuming you're probably crossing the line still in second. without a doubt there is alot to be gained there just in gear. putting long tubes and a converter will help alot though.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think with longtubes exhaust gears and verter you should be well in the low 14's

Im thinking your exhaust setup may be holding you back some
and about a 3000 stall should help alot too

all this sounds so familiar 263 at the wheels but a 13 sec timeslip

my verter wasnt locked on the dyno though
I dont know how big of a diff that makes
Old 05-08-2005, 09:47 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Cool, thanks for the replies guys, great input, keep em coming. I have also thought about upgrading to some 4.10's like you said zippy...I've also considered getting some track wheels and tires that are 245's or 265's...I see stock steel or chrome wheels fairly cheap on ebay from time to time.

I like the sound of that 13 second timeslip gamedawgx! I think it'll take a 6.0 for me to see one of those since I wanna stay N/A! (maybe next summer, or winter )
Old 05-08-2005, 11:54 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Something still doesn't sound right

Your truck should weigh no more than mine did stripped out at 4900lbs raceweight when I was N/A.

I would think your truck should be much faster than this. Bone stock it should have ran 86mph or so and with the cam I would say around 94mph since you don't have headers. The tires are not going to kill you that much. I've ran with 285s and 265s and it didn't change drasitcally. Also going to a set of 4.10s is very expensive because you have to change the front AND the rear. Most shops around here charge around $1500 to do that. Besides, staying in 2nd gear has it's advantages if the cam is big enough. Going to 4.10s will net you a better 60' but you'll have to go into 3rd at the end of the 1/4 which may make it a wash. If you wanna test the theory simply borrow some shorter tires like 245s and try them out.

I'm not bagin on your truck either bro, I just can't figure out why it's showing these kinds of numbers. For instance my raceweight is 4550 in my lil grey truck and bone stock with the 4.8L I trapped 89.9mph.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Hmmm, maybe there's something a little off that I'm missing? creederado suggested a partially plugged cat? My vacuum guage was doing a few things that seemed a little off when I was cruising on the highway (not exactly snapping up when I slammed the throttle shut) The guage readings are all good when testing in park/neutral though...wierd. I plan on getting lt's and some high flow cats within the next 3-6 months...maybe I should gut mine in the mean time as a test I just passed inspection and don't have to go back for 2 years

No offense taken F8L Z71, I'm looking for honest answers and input BTW, does anybody have any idea about what my truck weighs? I'm guessing 45-4700, but I'm really not sure.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:54 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Do you have an elevation for the track you raced at or the nearest town so we can calculate DA for you? If so get me the exact time of day and date you raced and the track elevation and I will factor out any DA anomalies. From there you can list any ADDITIONAL items you have put on/in your truck that may have added weight. I'm sure we can figure out the stock weight for your truck. Parish is around 4800lbs in street trim I think so you shouldn't be too far off of that considering he had the 4l80E and a missing bumper. LOL

I just know that my truck maxed out with a 226 cam, full tuning, LTs and no cats, 3000stall etc went 96.8mph at 4900lbs raceweight and I stayed in 2nd gear till the end of the 1/4. That's why i think you should be trapping higher unless the headers, cats and tune is holding you back?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Are you scanning for KR? The 99's are known for it. I dont recall what the 02 PCM swap costs, but it may be worthwhile for you.

Quick Reply: Track better than Dyno...new 1/4 mile times