Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

traction issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction issues

how bad do you guys spin on take off with the 6.0l. when you take of in overdrive and 1st on regular truck tires in a 2wd reg cab truck non super or turbocharged.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just out of curiosity what does your truck run in the quarter I am basically going to have the same setup as you but in my Z with a little more nitrous and a bigger cam. I think the answer you are going to get is they spin bad there are alot of guys that cant get traction under 40mph unless its 4wd. Get some caltracs and some stickier wider tires and that should help alot.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Or some really good tires. MY Nitto's sucked compared to my 305 Pirellis. I still cannot holeshot, but I cant take off hard from a roll with little or no slip. I also installed a 4 degree pinion angle shim which seems to help as well.

My Nittos would not grab for anything under 40 mph or just in first gear. There were times when my truck shifted to 2nd, that the tires would go up in smoke. I had a bad experience with Nitto's.

My advise is to start with a great tire and work from there. Traction bars are not going to do anything if your tires suck.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hijack, but whats caltracs?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't get traction for **** on my street tires. At the Track I am using ET Streets and they hook like a motha.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:30 PM

They are basically like a bolt on 4link they stop axle wrap and they help you hook alot better. Think traction bars.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Cody,

Do you really think that Ladder bars or traction bars would help that much though? I mean I could see in a track type situation where you have the stickum at the line, but on the street, I don't really see it helping much other than removing the wheel hop. Wheel spin seems like I would still be present. There comes a time where stock or street tires just aren't going to cut the mustard anymore. Obviously going wider and a more aggresive tread pattern helps in this matter

Caltracs or traction bars will make the rear of the suspension extremely stiff also translating into a much rougher ride. Not sure if thats what you are wanting for a daily driver.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Wheelhop can cause tire spin cause the tires are loosing contact with the ground. I have heard really good things about the caltracs I will be getting some when I start having traction issues in 2wd drive but luckily traction is just the push of a button away for me. Caltracs or ladder bars control axle wrap which is a main cause of wheel hop when the tire starts bouncing it loses some traction and if you have alot of power the speed the tire gains while in the air is enough to break traction totally. It will help alot. First you need to get some tires that are worth messing with I have heard good things about yokohamas. Get you some good tires then get caltracs or ladder bars. The caltracs are a nicer setup and there is a reason why alot of the guys with high hp apps are running them. How did daniels setup work out for him are his tires hooking better I bet you they are.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Launching!

i have 10" wide wheels and i really dont spin bad unless i brake torque it. the tires are general amertrac 255 70 16.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:56 PM

10" wide wheels allow you to go with a REALLY wide tire. Thats what I would do first. Do some research on tires that hook good then if that still doesnt work invest the 400 bucks in caltracs and then you should be good if not then you will just have to light them up and get em good and sticky. You could always go to mickey thompson e/t streets they are street legal but suck in the rain and you will get about 5000 miles out of them but you will hook.

Sierracrew pm where you got your streets in know it was a non sponsor I might need them soon with the new mods out at the track 4wd will work for the street though.

Quick Reply: traction issues