Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tranny acting weird!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny acting weird!!!

Whats up everybody,
I have about 39,XXX miles on my truck, and my Tranny is starting to feel weird when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. If I take off from a stop kinda quick, it shifts fine, but if I take off at a slow normal speed it feels like it slips for a couple 3 seconds and the shifts. Also a couple times I've taken off from a light or something it won't hardly move until I raise the RPM's up some.

Im not a transmission person by any means, but do ya'll have any ideas on what might be easy for me to take a look at (other than the fluid level), and not take it in to the dealer??

Anybody else having or had this problem???????

Thanks for any input!!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Former Vendor

mine has done the same thing. Taken into the dealer and then in will not do it. And there techs can not tell me what is wrong. Sometimes it up shift and down shirt real quick like it is not sure what gear to be in. Anybody have any info.

Ricky
Old 12-20-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Same problem here. My will sorta "shutter" into gear at very low RPM shifts. However, I usually don't have the problem because I don't drive slow much at all and I get a nice shift at higher RPMs.
Philip S.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

same **** happens to mine at light throttle,also sometimes if I take off hard and shift into 2nd and then let up some it will stay in 2nd at same rpm for about 3 seconds before shift to 3rd.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Former Vendor

Has anyone got a fix or is it just a problem, wait till it breaks then fix it.
Ricky
Old 12-20-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive experience the shutter feeling during light acceleration from a stoplight.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well it kind of makes me feel better that I'm not the only one with this **** happening. But it just don't feel normal to me!!! And the way it slipped on me from a stop a couple of times, that really makes me think something is wrong.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Has anyone got a fix or is it just a problem, wait till it breaks then fix it.
Ricky

I think there is a TSB on 1/4 throttle or less acceleration shutter. I cant remember where I read the TSB but I know it had something to do with improper voltage signals.

BTW. Anybody having this trans problem?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251263
Old 12-21-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by diamondd2
I think there is a TSB on 1/4 throttle or less acceleration shutter. I cant remember where I read the TSB but I know it had something to do with improper voltage signals.

BTW. Anybody having this trans problem?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251263

Intermittent Neutral from a Stop or 2-3 Shift - kw flare information launch slip #PIP3002C - (Sep 22, 2004)
4L60E/4L65E Intermittent Neutral from a Stop or 2-3 Shift

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
The 4L60E/4L65E may experience an intermittent neutral condition while accelerating from a stop (category one) or while driving (category two).

Category One: Intermittent neutral condition occurs on accel from a stop with the shifter in D4. The neutral may be associated with an engine flare and then a harsh engagement. The Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch should read correct signal "A" High "B" Low "C" Low.

Category Two: Intermittent neutral occurs during 2-3 shift and the transmission will not have 3rd or 4th gear. The "B" Shift Solenoid is not bleeding off during the 2-3 shift allowing the transmission to stay in 2nd gear and return to first during the 3-4 shift.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Category One:

Attempt to duplicate the condition and if possible capture a snap shot of the condition with the Tech 2 or VDR while monitoring the transmission line pressure with a gauge. The following should be monitored to ensure the PCM is not commanding a higher then first gear start.

The Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch. The correct reading for D4 is as follows "A" High "B" Low "C" Low.

VSS should be monitored at stop to ensure that it is reading 0 MPH/RPM

Commanded Gear should be first Solenoid Status "A" on "B" on

Engine cooling fan operation should be noted and discussed (TSB 01-06-04-052, 02 Trailblazer, Envoy Bravada with 4.2 engine) Transmission line pressure low during the condition may cause an intermittent loss of pressure and neutral condition. Some customers may describe a launch in a higher then first gear as a neutral due to the greater amount of engine noise associated with the launch and lack of acceleration. In the event the dealer is unable to duplicate the condition, the dealer may consider installing an entire transmission shift cable, inspecting the forward clutch seal/piston and inspect for a broken or missing oil pump spring (two springs on units built 15-DEC-03 or earlier, one spring on units built 16-DEC-03 or later, reference bulletin 04-07-30-006)

Installing Transmission Assemblies, Lo Roller and the Forward Sprag have not been proven to be an effective repair.

Category Two:

Attempt to duplicate the condition. The "B" Shift Solenoid should be air checked for being restricted and not exhausting. However air testing the solenoid may remove the restriction. The "B" Shift Solenoid should be replaced.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance
Old 12-21-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transmission 1-2 Shift Shudder, Vibration, Slips, Chuggle (Install Generator Voltage Sense Circuit) #02-07-30-030A - (Nov 18, 2003)
Transmission 1-2 Shift Shudder, Vibration, Slips, Chuggle (Install Generator Voltage Sense Circuit)
2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

with 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)

Built Prior to August 5, 2003 at Oshawa (Plant Code 1) and Pontiac (Plant Code E) or Prior to August 12, 2003 at Fort Wayne (Plant Code Z)

Vehicles built AFTER the dates listed above will have a Voltage Sense Circuit internal to the generator. These vehicles will NOT have a wire in terminal D of the generator connector.

This bulletin is being revised to accommodate for a 2003 model year mid-cycle enhancement. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-07-30-030 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the transmission slips, a shudder, chuggle, or vibration is felt when the transmission shifts from first to second gear.

Cause
A 12 Hz electrical feedback from the charging circuit may be affecting the transmission pressure control solenoid, causing a fluctuation of the line pressure within the transmission.

Diagnostic Tip
Road test the vehicle under the following conditions:

• Throttle position is less than 15 percent.

• Engine coolant and transmission fluid are at full operating temperature.

• The outside ambient temperature is warmer than 24°C (75°F).

If the condition is present, disconnect the generator 4 cavity connector (2 wires in the connector) and retest.

If the condition is no longer present, perform the correction listed below.

If the condition remains unchanged, the condition will not be corrected with this procedure. Look for other causes of the condition.

Correction
Install an external sense lead to the generator assembly. This is accomplished by adding a wire from the generator four wire connector to the generator output BAT terminal.

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery/batteries.
Slide the protective boot on the generator BAT terminal aside and remove the retainer and wire cable from the BAT terminal.
Unplug the generator 4-cavity terminal from the top of the generator.
Inspect cavity D on the generator connector for a red cavity plug.
• If a red cavity plug is present, it is not necessary to replace the generator connector. Remove the CPA and save. Remove the red cavity plug and continue with step 9.

• If a red cavity plug is NOT present, continue with the next step.

Remove and save the orange weatherpack seal and CPA from the 4-way connector.
Using the proper terminal removal tool, remove the two or three wires from the 4-way connector.
• On vehicles without Supplemental Brake Assist (SBA), install a red cavity plug, P/N 12059168, into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector, P/N 12186568.

• On some 2003 model year vehicles with SBA, install the dark blue (Circuit 5668) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "A" of the new 4-way connector.

Install the brown (Circuit 25) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "B" of the new 4-way connector.
Install the gray (Circuit 23) wire of the vehicle wiring harness into cavity "C" of the new 4-way connector.
Obtain a piece of 0.80 mm/18GA black wire, 254 mm (8 in) long.
Install a red terminal seal, P/N 12048086, and terminal, P/N 12048074, (crimp and solder) on one end of the new black wire.
Install the new black wire into cavity "D" of the new 4-way connector.
Reinstall the connector seal and CPA, from the original connector, to the new connector.
Plug the 4-way connector into the generator.
Route the black wire to the generator BAT terminal, sliding the wire into the small end to the output terminal boot, along side the generator output wire.
Crimp and solder the ring terminal, P/N 12103514, on the open end of the new black wire.
Place the generator output wire and the new black wire onto the generator BAT terminal and install the retainer.

Tighten
Tighten to the BAT terminal retainer to 9 N•m (80 lb in).

Connect the negative battery cable.

Tighten
Tighten the battery cable retainer to 17 N•m (13 lb ft).

4L60E / 4L65E Intermittent Neutral from a Stop or 2-3 Shift - kw flare information launch slip #PIP3002C - (Sep 22, 2004)
4L60E/4L65E Intermittent Neutral from a Stop or 2-3 Shift

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
The 4L60E/4L65E may experience an intermittent neutral condition while accelerating from a stop (category one) or while driving (category two).

Category One: Intermittent neutral condition occurs on accel from a stop with the shifter in D4. The neutral may be associated with an engine flare and then a harsh engagement. The Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch should read correct signal "A" High "B" Low "C" Low.

Category Two: Intermittent neutral occurs during 2-3 shift and the transmission will not have 3rd or 4th gear. The "B" Shift Solenoid is not bleeding off during the 2-3 shift allowing the transmission to stay in 2nd gear and return to first during the 3-4 shift.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Category One:

Attempt to duplicate the condition and if possible capture a snap shot of the condition with the Tech 2 or VDR while monitoring the transmission line pressure with a gauge. The following should be monitored to ensure the PCM is not commanding a higher then first gear start.

The Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch. The correct reading for D4 is as follows "A" High "B" Low "C" Low.

VSS should be monitored at stop to ensure that it is reading 0 MPH/RPM

Commanded Gear should be first Solenoid Status "A" on "B" on

Engine cooling fan operation should be noted and discussed (TSB 01-06-04-052, 02 Trailblazer, Envoy Bravada with 4.2 engine) Transmission line pressure low during the condition may cause an intermittent loss of pressure and neutral condition. Some customers may describe a launch in a higher then first gear as a neutral due to the greater amount of engine noise associated with the launch and lack of acceleration. In the event the dealer is unable to duplicate the condition, the dealer may consider installing an entire transmission shift cable, inspecting the forward clutch seal/piston and inspect for a broken or missing oil pump spring (two springs on units built 15-DEC-03 or earlier, one spring on units built 16-DEC-03 or later, reference bulletin 04-07-30-006)

Installing Transmission Assemblies, Lo Roller and the Forward Sprag have not been proven to be an effective repair.

Category Two:

Attempt to duplicate the condition. The "B" Shift Solenoid should be air checked for being restricted and not exhausting. However air testing the solenoid may remove the restriction. The "B" Shift Solenoid should be replaced.

Quick Reply: Tranny acting weird!!!