Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trans-Go Shift Kit = good/bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trans-Go Shift Kit = good/bad?

Here is where i will get mine.
http://www.kdsperformance.com/supser700r44.html

They can also sell ya a the shift kit too.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

I have both billet servos (intermediate and overdrive) and the TransGo with one washer. I am still debating on pulling my washer for a slightly softer shift at part throttle. I am going to drive it for another few weeks before I do it or not.

www.kdsperformance.com is your best bet for trans parts.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:39 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I've narrowed down my choices. My first choice is the billet servo (#TR10018-for 1-2 & 2-3 shifts) & the trans-go shift kit w/ no washers. That will be a nice improvement over the stock shifts, right?

My second choice is to just get the billet servo itself. Will it hurt my tranny if I just get the billet servo and no shift kit?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I've narrowed down my choices. My first choice is the billet servo (#TR10018-for 1-2 & 2-3 shifts) & the trans-go shift kit w/ no washers. That will be a nice improvement over the stock shifts, right?

My second choice is to just get the billet servo itself. Will it hurt my tranny if I just get the billet servo and no shift kit?

Sorry for all the questions.
Servo+TransGo will be the best bet for shift quality. It is smartest to do both at the same time as it is important to set the 2-4 band clearance and you'll save on install money. I'd do the TransGo before the single billets, the TransGo rids the problems of the 4L60E and will make it shift a whole hell of a lot better.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

That's what I'll do then. Thanks for all the info. You said the trans-go gets rid of the 4l60-e's problems, what problems does it get rid of?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Word of caution .. if you get them to hard like the guys who are barking tires at 1/4 throttle, and you have a lot of motor, it will destroy your transmission ... even with hardened parts throughout. I am telling you this from experience. Try getting pulled home by an 03 4-door Dodge Dakota w/v6. It's kinda humiliating if ya ask me.

Mine would bark the 285/75/16's at about half throttle. After the rebuild of a new transmission, it'll only do it at WOT if I;m on the right type of street.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly why I advise no washers with the billets...super hard shifts are like hitting the internals with a hammer. I need to take my one washer out as I have finally decided that I don't need it.

Here is what the TransGo has and fixes: .500 boost valve, HO Pump Spring, 1-2 accum spring, fixes problems like...3-4 burnup, 2-3 overlap, delay bangs, poor 3-2 kickdown. This makes such a nice difference in how the day-to-day shifts are.

When you get the TransGo installed see if your trans has the plastic or aluminum accumulator in the 1-2. If it has the plastic one, trash it and go with the aluminum one.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

On the KDS Performance website it says that installing the Transgo in a 1998 and up requires the computer to be modified. Did any of you do this? What has to be done to the computer?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

After a little searching I found my answer. On 99 and up the computer will pull timing if torque management remains. To me that doesn't make sense. TQMGT is there to save the tranny. Why would the computer want to pull timing when it's shifting tighter with TQMGT. I can see the computer wanting to pull timing with the Transgo and without TQMGT. You can really hurt things with that combo.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

TqMgt seems to be GM's bandaid for an outdated trans design or really one in need of some much stronger internals. It pulls timing on WOT upshifts to limit stress on drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Trans-Go Shift Kit = good/bad?