Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trans. guy blew my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow . . . just listened to your youtube vid . . . that's a rod bearing for sure. It was dead before the trans swap. It was already on its way out.

That engine was a time bomb
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
wow . . . just listened to your youtube vid . . . that's a rod bearing for sure. It was dead before the trans swap. It was already on its way out.

That engine was a time bomb
I think he pretty much knew that, and is why he told the trans shop not to drive it. How hard is that to understand? I think he was just hoping against hope that the trans would fix it.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the bright side now you can build the motor back bigger and better
Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was the tranny builder, I would've refused service to you. Or made you remove the transmission yourself and bring it to me.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Hello , sorry for You're loss , it saddens me to hear of any Chevy small block going to Chevy small block Heaven or Hell in this case , but it sounds like to me that You had a loose rod bolt or 2 or possibly a defective rod (less likely) or maybe a loose bolt flying around in the crankcase . Either way the "trans" guy should have respected You're instructions and waited until You took care of the knock/noise/tic . I'm afraid You probably would be wasting time and money fighting it but definately get an expert opinion or 2 . Good luck and keep us up to the minute .

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I'm gonna quote your very first post in your other thread.

then TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP!!! As soon as i heard it i shut it down. Then i thought "MY ENGINE IS F@%$&D!"

Well, it looks like you were correct from the start. Your trans mechanic just proved it. I think it's kinda silly that you want to blame someone else for this happening. In fact, it almost seems like you tried to set him up for the blame.
Looks like I was, but I told him not to drive it and he did anyways.
So at least I could have pulled the engine and have it rebuilt, now im out an engine. Say what you want but im an honest guy i dont screw people over, there is no way i would set anyone up.

Originally Posted by blsnelling
To the OP, some guys love to hate on others in internet forums. Ignore them.

Bottom line, the trans mechanic went against your instructions and drove the vehicle anyway. The problem was likely fixable, or at least rebuildable, before. Now you're screwed, as a direct result of him not doing as instructed.
My point exactley, at least it would have been rebuildable if he would have just listned to what i said.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I feel for you man, but it seems this is one of those lesson learned kind of things. Id see if he is willing to help at all with your situation.
Thanks, it is a lesson learned thats for sure. The guy wont help at all.

Originally Posted by Tootall
who built your engine? . . . sounds like a rod bearing went out
The engine was bought through HPE (horsepowerengineering) in houston then sent to G&G machine shop.

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
the engine was already busted...it just happened to let go when he took it out. for all you know it may have spit while you were loading onto the flat bed. i would just lick my wounds and move on if i were you. taking it to court will cost you more in lawyer fees than just going out and picking up a 5.3 for 500 or a 6.0 for 1k. if i was a judge and saw a modified engine that was freshly built by a mechanic i didnt know- i would chalk it up to the "gotta pay to play" rule.
Its going to cost more than it worth if i go to court and get lawyers and all involded, so im just gonna have to take a loss on this one.

Originally Posted by chvy=power
on the bright side now you can build the motor back bigger and better
Yes sir! I think im going to go with a 6.0 now, either from a local dealer or Scoggin Dickey. At least itll have a 3yr./ 100,000 mile warranty.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
If I was the tranny builder, I would've refused service to you. Or made you remove the transmission yourself and bring it to me.
Well i was swapping the trans with another one so it wouldnt have been a big deal to do it, other than the output shaft needed to be swapped. He quoted me such a good price to do it i said screw it someone else can deal with it. Kinda wish i would of done it myself with some friends.

Ok guys, i was a little pissed when i posted this thread. So in turn it may not have been 100% the trans. guys fault that the engine went, but the headache could have been prevented if he would have listened to the customer. We had an agreement that once he put the new trans in that i would pick the truck up, fix the problem then take it back to him to test it out. Its going to cost more to try to fight this than its actually worth, so all i can say is that ive learned from my mistakes (and others). Next time ill take it to a professional trans. guy (not one who tries to modify a flexplate for a 700r4 and bolt it to my engine.) Thats what i get for trying to take the cheapest route, oh well. Now on to bigger and better things. To the critics, ill take it all as "constructive criticism".
Thanks, Casey.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most attorneys will for a small fee type up a letter of intent stating what you are going to do if they dont handle the situation. That would be the route I took and no further, the money you will tie up in lawyer beyond that just to get a settlement that he may or may not pay IF he is found at fault would be better spent fixing your obvious problem.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Good luck on your rebuild!