Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trans is in motor is out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:06 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans is in motor is out!

I got my new tranny in yesterday and it works great. The problem is, I was racing a buddy who just got a 2001 Lightning and I was only beating him by a few lengths. My motor was missing and cutting out and the check engine came on but I wasn't about to lift and risk getting beat by a Ferd. When we got back to my shop I checked the codes and had a p0336-ckp sensor. The service manual listed excessive crankshaft endplay as being a possible cause so I popped the hood and immediately saw the upper blower belt had jumped 1 rib. At that point I had a sinking feeling in the 'ol gut and sure enough when I reached down to push and pull on the crank pulley it moved about 1/4"! I don't know what has happened but now the motor has to come out again. This is getting old in a hurry. I am not sure what I will do, maybe build a stroker, maybe fix this one, maybe buy a new 6 liter maybe........
Old 01-11-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that sucks. How much boost were you hitting?
Old 01-11-2004, 11:34 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look closely at the crank pulley......I think Whitt had this problem too. His was fixed with ease. Not sure if you are having the same problem but it is worth a look-see.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

L-EATER,my Tahoe lost the lower pulley.I replaced the pulley with a new factory pulley.When I installed the new pulley I drilled the crank snout and pulley with a drill and fixture from Magnacharger and installed 2 pins,1 on either side of junction of the crank snout and pulley then installed a new crank bolt,problem solved.Magnacharger has these pinning kit for use with there Corvette kits I don't know where mine is,but I bet that Blownchevy can get you one.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:45 PM
11 Second Truck Club

My luck could never be that good. The whole crank moves back and forth-not just the balancer-that is why it is setting a crankshaft position sensor code-the reluctor wheel on the crank is moving out of range of the sensor when the crank decides to move around. It is obvious the thrust bearing is wiped out, but why? This motor was perfect when it was put together about 9000 miles ago. I think I will post over in the internal engine section and see what those guys say.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Damn that sux, looks like the two of us have about the same luck.
Let us know what you find.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

It sounds like you dropped a thrustwasher.That's probably not going to be to bad if the crank isn't damaged just make sure to check your endplay when you go back together.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:04 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 01-11-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think your new tranny may have taken your thrust,the converter balloning can take out a thrust quickly.blockage in the trans cooler it what normally does it.I hate to see you go through a bunch of engine work and have it happen again.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:23 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I want to figure this out so it don't happen again. Can a converter balloon out then go back into shape? I think I have had a problem for a while-I changed the oil on 12-3-03 (300 miles ago) and there was a truck load of metal on the magnet. I knew right then in the back of my mind something was not right. I drove it a few days and then pulled the trans to use it in my other truck, and it has been sitting without a transmission until yesterday. So if the converter took out the crank, it was my other converter, which is now in my other truck tearing up that crank! This sucks.

Quick Reply: Trans is in motor is out!