Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trans?!?! Why Me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans?!?! Why Me!

I knew this was going to happen to me sooner or later, but why now?! Truck will not stay in OD. I have to give it gas for it to shift in to OD, and as soon as I let off the gas, just the slightest bit, it will go right back into 3rd.

Also my 2-1 down shift feels funny. It will shift down and then shift right back up and the motor will bog. What is this all about?

Do I need a rebuild (or a 4l80) or do you thing I could have done something when I did the shift kit? It seemed all fine right after the install.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your valve body. My truck did the same exact thing. The dealership said that their was a valve stuck in my valve body not allowing it to go into overdrive. Also did you add any type of trans additive. I did and that is when I noticed it about a month later. They replaced a valve and bearing and "reconditioned" the valve body and it hasn't done it in 2 months and absolutly no problems.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:37 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Did you use the shim for the servo? I don't know if the shim could cause what you are talking about though. Did you set band clearance?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did not add any trans additive, was I supposed too? As far as that sticking valve would that explain my 3-4 shift and my 2-1 down shift? Is there a certain valve that I should look for?

I did not use any washers if that is what you are talking about. band clearance what is that and how do I do that?

I just remembered that when the valve body was out and you have to replace the valve that is in the trans, I pulled the wrong one. I pulled the smaller one to the left of it. That is if you feet are toward the back of the truck and you are on you back. I think I put it in the right way. Any one have a picture of how that valve is supposed to go in? Do you think that could be my problem?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
I did not add any trans additive, was I supposed too? As far as that sticking valve would that explain my 3-4 shift andy my 2-1 down shift? Is there a sertain valve that I should look for?

I did not use any washers if that is what you are talking about. band clearance what is that and how do I do that?

I just remebered that when the valve body was out and you have to replace the valve that is in the trans, I pulled the wrong one. I pulled the smaller one to the left of it. That is if you feet are torward the back of the truck and you are on you back. I think I put it in the right way. Any one have a picture of how that valve is supposed to go in? Do you think that could be my problem?
Yeah, the washers. They're for old worn out tranmissions.

Did you keep the stock servo's? If so, I don't think you need to worry about band clearance.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

No I used the billet ones, but I installed those 6 months ago. I think I might have bought them off you!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No after the expierance I had with the additive I wouldn't add any. As far as the valve go I cant really tell you which one it is because my truck was still under warrenty so I just took it to the dealership. I if you didn't have any problems with the trans. slipping etc. I wouldn't be to worried about replacing the entire thing. I would call a local trans shop and ask them about the valve that operates the OD in trans. The dealer ship seemed like it wasnt a big deal. All the dealership told me was when they rebuilt the trans about a month before, they installed a new valve that operates the OD. Apparently their is a bearing behind the valve that failed and got stuck not allowing it to go into OD. They replaced the valve and bearing cleaned the valve body out (which I think was because I added the Trans additive) and it has worked great.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
No I used the billet ones, but I installed those 6 months ago. I think I might have bought them off you!
HA! I forgot who I sold them to.

If you have to take the pan off again you may want to check your band clearance. That's obviously not your problem, but I know its a good idea when using different servo's. I don't know how to do it though. You may have to ask someone in the trans section. I never did it when I installed them.

Good luck on finding the problem. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a similar issue, but it's because the spring on the 4th gear solenoid (or whatever it's called) that is replaced in the transgo HD kit is too stout. So it will only shift into OD @60mph. Monitored it with a techII and the PCM is telling the tranny to shift, but it doesn't until that speed.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did not get the HD kit. I got kit - C or something like that.

I am sure HitManX will chime in soon. If he is posting any more!

Quick Reply: Trans?!?! Why Me!