Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case?

I read throught the entire post on launching in 4wd hi posted by (jeremys).
But I did not see anything about the transfer case, My truck is a 2500 hd 8.1l / allison. will launching in 4hi damage the transfer case? Will this cause any damage to any other parts of the driveline? doesnt this truck already have all the hd parts in the driveline ? I know it has the g80 locker and 4.10's but thats about all I know about the driveline. Is there any way to tell what transfer case and what type of axle's it has? This truck is my daily driver so I dont need to break ****.

thanks for any input.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Ask parish or F8LZ71. I dont think you will break anything but anything is possible.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:29 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

you'll be better than most
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know much about the alison but the rest of it is very strong. i dont think you could hurt it if you tried. heads, cam, stall, 250shot, you might have to do something to the tranny, maybe.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I think Parish has kinda set the mark for longevity on the T-Case. I run mine in 4wd occationally on the street or when it's raining out. I ALWAYS race in 4wd and lanuch hard at the track but Parish beats on his 24/7. If I am not mistaken he runs it on ALL the time and beats the hell out of it.

Only realy difference I can see if with weight and gearing. You're going to be much heavier than Jim and I so that is going to pla a part but are you going to have as much TQ?

Unless you decide to go nutty with a giant shot of nitrous I think you'll be fine. Us turbo guys are not really all that hard on the T-Case like the nitrous guys would be IMO.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

An Allison 5-speed automatic transmission is mated to a New Venture 263 transfer case. The American Axle Manufacturing IFS front axle has a 9.25" ring gear
The AAM solid rear axle has a 11.5" ring gear and a stock Eaton G80 locker(which is govern to 20mph, then unlocks.)

NV276 SD if you have a manually shift transfer case.

Go to http://duramaxracing.com/, Some nice vids there of HD series

By the way, stock truck, you are not going to break stuff well shouldn't if you take the right steps, less you are pushing 500rwhp on a built allison, driveshaft will corkscrew before anything else.

Important Note keep CV shaft joints and tierods parallel to the ground, or close to it. Cv joints at their strongest, in this postion. Also on the http://dieselplace.com / "Super diesel" has some nice tierods sleeve for $75. So no need to worry about those folding in.

Also give her hell in 4hi, If you brake stall in the line, and lose power assist on the brakes and steering, that means you just twisted the pump shaft on the power steering pump. But have to brake stall, or your 60' times blow ***.

that is all
Old 01-17-2005, 02:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

LOL great post 8100Hammer
Old 01-17-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

the only thing i have worn out in 4hi launches is:

- u joints
- driveshaft seals on transfer case
Old 01-17-2005, 10:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I wouldn't worry about it with all those HD parts. Out of all the 1/2 tons on here that 4HI launch, the only thing that breaks is the 4L60E.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input fella's . At most I am only making 290 rwhp and really dont Think I will ever see more than 320 rwhp out of the truck, the only other mods I plan on making are e-fans and long tube headers. Unless i get mad at a ricer and slap a 150 shot on it lol j/k . I thought i would be o.k. but it always pays to ask the people who have been there and done that. I have seen a lot of mods over at tbyrne that have been put on my official wish list but thats long into the future i.e. heads,pistons, cam, intake, just a few things.

I appreciate all the input and replies

The only thing I have a complaint about is you guys keep making your trucks hella fast, and a poor fella like me is having a hard time keeping up.

Thanks again dave

Quick Reply: transfer case?