Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Transmission beefed up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission beefed up!

I want to know how weak these transmission actually are? I have an 02 Sierra 4wd 1500. The only mods I have done are JBA headers, Borla Cat back exhaust, and Granetelli cold air intake. I did have the Diablo sport programmer installed. I now have 33000 miles on it, and had to have the whole transmission rebuilt! They said the fluid was burnt, drum burnt, band burnt, Sun shell worn and the fluid level was full! Are these transmission known for being the weak link for these trucks?

I want to know what I need to do to make this transmission last! I drive about 20k miles a year!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Um.... explain to me how you killed that 4L60E with a decent handheld and other MISC light mods? Mine has NO TqMgt and a full tune with 61K on it... just did a fluid swap and came out nice and clean.

Are you sure you needed that rebuild? How did the circumstances arise to do this? A lot of the stuff you say went wrong seems very suspicious to me considering the milage and extent of mods...

Typically what goes bad on these is: 3-4 clutch pack smoking; strip that sun gear reaction shell; broken input shaft; broken output shaft; cracked input drum. I hardly ever see a toasted 2-4 band also.

Did a shift solenoid go bad? Pump? Who worked on this? Like I said, something is amiss...

Originally Posted by aaronsu
I want to know how weak these transmission actually are? I have an 02 Sierra 4wd 1500. The only mods I have done are JBA headers, Borla Cat back exhaust, and Granetelli cold air intake. I did have the Diablo sport programmer installed. I now have 33000 miles on it, and had to have the whole transmission rebuilt! They said the fluid was burnt, drum burnt, band burnt, Sun shell worn and the fluid level was full! Are these transmission known for being the weak link for these trucks?

I want to know what I need to do to make this transmission last! I drive about 20k miles a year!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you still covered by the warranty?If you are,get the dealer to install a new transmission,then put a shift kit and servos in the new transmission.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Banned

i smoked my stock tranny within 50k and i had only a hpp3, headers, exhaust and a daily dose of *** kickin. i sprayed it a few times too which i doubt helped it at all.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Had 54,000 miles on mine When i blew a Bearing......Just had it replaced At a dealer cost a bundle but i got a good warrenty....Had nothing but boltons,now i have to figure out if i can sneek a Shiftkit and sirvos Past them.....
Old 01-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Banned

hell i have probably 300 at the tires at least now and mine is handling the power every day very well. i abuse the **** out of it and it just keeps coming. tons of full throttle up shifts all day long and it hasn't puked yet.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Um.... explain to me how you killed that 4L60E with a decent handheld and other MISC light mods? Mine has NO TqMgt and a full tune with 61K on it... just did a fluid swap and came out nice and clean.

Are you sure you needed that rebuild? How did the circumstances arise to do this? A lot of the stuff you say went wrong seems very suspicious to me considering the milage and extent of mods...

Typically what goes bad on these is: 3-4 clutch pack smoking; strip that sun gear reaction shell; broken input shaft; broken output shaft; cracked input drum. I hardly ever see a toasted 2-4 band also.

Did a shift solenoid go bad? Pump? Who worked on this? Like I said, something is amiss...
I have the diablo sport programmer. I increased the shift firmness by 25%, and the shift quickness by 25%. That is the only thing I have done. I tow a small 4000lb boat, but I would think these trucks could tow alot more than that.

This is specifically what they did.(off the work order.

32992 drum burnt, band burnt, sun shell worn k7231 A3 7.3 A4 .3 A6 3.2 A7 .3 = 11.1 CHECKED FLUID LEVEL AND CONDITION, FLUID IS BURNT - LEVEL OK. SCANNED FOR CODES - NONE. ROAD TEST - HAS BAD FLARE ON 3-2 DOWNSHIFT, SLIDES ON 1-2 AT LIGHT THROTTLE. REMOVED BOTTOM PAN AND INSPECT, FOUND CLTCH MATERIAL AND METAL FRAGMENTS. REMOVED TRANSMISSION, TEARDOWN FOR INSPECTION, REV INPUT DRUM AND BAND BURNT, REACTION SHELL SPLINES WORN. WAS NECESSARY TO COMPLETELY RECONDITION UNIT. REASSEMBLE, FLUSHED AND FLOW TESTED COOLER, OK, PASSED WITH CODE. CLEARED TAP INFO, ROADTEST. OK..

I HAD THE DEAL DO ALL THE WORK. Luckily I am still under warranty. 3000 miles left!!!!

Granted, I drive my truck alot and like I stole it.(purchased my truck with 6 miles on it in 11/02, now have 33000 miles on it.) My buddy has a 03 Hemi dodge, and cant help but spank his A** every chance I get.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Banned

a 4,000# boat isn't small by any means man....but your truck SHOULD handle it none the less.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Teching In

here are my work orders.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission beefed up!-work-order-1.jpg   Transmission beefed up!-work-order2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2004, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

i wont go there on my tranny
lets just say its still a work in progress.

Quick Reply: Transmission beefed up!