Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

transmission cooler fluid- question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission cooler fluid- question

3 days after install my B and M tranny cooloer, one of the hoses sprung a leak, and now all my tranny fluid has leaked out. ive already fixed the leak with new hoses, but where the hell do i put the tranny cooler fluid to top it off. i know where the dipstick is to check it, but i cant find the filling location? i know this has got to be one of the dumbest questions ever. i looked all throught my haynes manual, and it doesnt mentiont this anywhere.

i believe dexrol 3 is the type i need, but i dont know how much i need to put in to top it off, and where the hell i put it. thanks alot for any help guys.

todd
Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You fill it through the dipstick. You need a trans funnel. Also, you cant use regular rubber hose with a trans coller. it will swell shut and reduce fluid flow. It has to be safe for trans fluid.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amount to add will depend on how much you lost. Pull the dip stick with out the truck running. There needs to be some tranny fluid on the dipstick at the end before you ever start the truck.. Once you have some fluid on the dip stick, start the truck and while running check again. You will keep adding fluid until you reach the full line.. From the add line to the full line I think is only 1 pint of fluid. ONce you at the full line put the truck in drive and then reverse and check again.

One thing to point out that tranny fluid can ignite so do not spill it on anything hot.
Ricky