Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trouble codes after LT install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might need to delete the code. It will probably hang around for a while after you fixed the plug.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I fixed the plug , I put new wires and I am still throwing the code. I have cleared it about 15 times. whenever I go into boost it throws a misfire and the p0420 and p0430 come on randomly.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Where's the Beef?

Timing and fuel delivery both looking good? Check the injector to make sure it's not fouling out.
Just throwing out suggestions. Crappy problem to be having when your running a Radix. can melt a piston pretty quick.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a wideband gauge?

Cat efficiency codes after a header install and high flow cat install. As well as misfire codes. Ugh, you are really getting hit huh? Get on your back and make sure you didn't nick, cut, burn, or damage ANY of the 02 sensor wires. Unplug them and make sure the connection is good. None of them are pinched are they?

Misfires are an oddity as they can relate to a ton of things as I am sure you know, but you have to look around your header install very carefully. No leaks, nothing...just a nice tight install. I am guessing you unplugged all your spark plugs for the install...make sure you plugged them back GOOD. A misfire after a header install is almost certainly related to those plugs. Crack a spark plug? Didn't get the coil plug all the way in?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

btw...its my opinion that a header install doesn't "require" a retune, but you will certainly be plagued by some front o2 codes. Yeah a retune would help performance, but not by much I bet.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I was very thorough and even removed all plugs as to not damage them. I did throw a code that specificly showed #1 misfire I replaced that plug and the wires are new after the install. I also threw multiple random misfire...is this more than one cylinder misfiring or one cylinder with multiple misfires? It may just be a problem with #1 that needs to be figured out.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

If your wires are even slightly touching the header tubes, they will burn a small hole pretty quick causing electrical arc and the random misfire code. This happened to my MSD wires when I did my long tubes. I had to bend them where they snap onto the plug so they weren't touching the long tubes.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terravast4
I also threw multiple random misfire...is this more than one cylinder misfiring or one cylinder with multiple misfires?
That just means that the PCM detected misfires and the other code narrows it down to which cylinder.

I'm baffled about the cat converter codes, doesn't make any sense with new cats on there unless they're somehow defective??
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
If your wires are even slightly touching the header tubes, they will burn a small hole pretty quick causing electrical arc and the random misfire code. This happened to my MSD wires when I did my long tubes. I had to bend them where they snap onto the plug so they weren't touching the long tubes.

That's what I've been trying tell yall... damn new headers melted my wires and I bought some heat retardent sleeves for the wires. I also mentioned if you'd like the link for where I purchased them, PM me.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I learned from my shortie install to watch the wires. i burned like three wires on the first test run. With the long tubes I put new wires and made sure to bend them correctly. If I drive civil I pull no codes at all. For the past two days no codes but never got on it at all. if I go WOT I get the codes.

Quick Reply: Trouble codes after LT install