Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler and it's fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler and it's fittings?

I attempted to install my Tru-Cooler tranny cooler. I went as far as mounting it to the radiator supports. I started to run one of the hoses, and realized that what's supplied is not enough.

But then it hit me that I didn't have a f'ing clue on how the fittings work. You are given two sets of barbed fittings. I think it's a 1/4" and a 3/8" fitting.

Where do these go? Obviouslly the barbed end goes on to the supplied hose (or in this case, the hose I have to buy). But there is a male and female thread portion on each fitting.

My first thought and I didn't investigate it, is that you unscrew the factory return line, and put that threaded fitting in there(male side)? and the female fitting goes on the factory hardline?

Does anyone have any good pictures of where they tapped into and how the supplied fittings were used? All the pictures I've found are from the mounting locations only.

Thanks TIA.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the factory tranny cooler or not if so there are some lines that come from the pass side of the rad and you cut those off with a tubing cutter and just throw two hose clamps on each end and be done with it the only barbed connections that I know of are the ones that go on the feed and return line on the cooler those on my cooler just screwed right in and then you put the hoses on.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a factory cooler built-into the radiator. On the Tru-Cool radiator, there are nipples on it for attaching the supplied hoses. The directions mention using the barbed fittings, but the directions also don't mention where to use them.

I'll just play with it again this weekend with some new longer hoses and see what happens.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 1slow01Z71 was asking if you had the separate tranny cooler that comes with the towing package (or at least did prior to 2003) because that one already has lines with it. This cooler runs into and out of the one inside the raidator. I bought those stock lines in preparation for an aftermarket tranny cooler install.....I'll bring them down with me this weekend so you can have a look and see if they might work for you.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah i was talkin gin reference to the aux cooler that will be right in front of the radiator if not then I dont know but it sounds like Naked AV will line you out.