Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Truck almost burned.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! Good thing you caught it in time!

On some days i would consider it a blessing for it to catch fire, others i would cry...I NEED TO GET AN EXTINGUISHER!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had a chance to work on it yet. I'm going to have to have it towed back to my house...didn't have a chance on Sunday, and I have class tonight after work so it will probably be tomorrow before I get it home. I did start it up for a sec and it ran ok, but that's when I found out that the turbo oil feed line was burned through. It's steel braided so I couldn't see it, but with the motor running oil was seeping out between the braids. Shouldn't take much to fix it, I think cleaning the extinguisher out of the valve cover will be the most time consuming part.

Anyway - the moral of this story is that an extinguisher is worth every penny! Even if you never need to use it on your own car/truck, you may have an opportunity to save someone else's at some point.

SS_bnoon_SS - good point. I know that insurance doesn't know about anything that's done to my truck. Sounds like it's about time to get an appraisal on additional coverage.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

WOW!!! I'm glad to hear you got it in time. That could've been a lot worse. It's good that you reacted so quikily too, a lot of people just freeze in situations like that. Way to be!

The next step after fixing it is to find out what exactly the culpret was. It takes quite a bit of heat to ignite oil, so I'm guessing it puked on the exhaust, or turbine housing or something. The valve covers don't get hot enough to ignited oil...trust me I know.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
WOW!!! I'm glad to hear you got it in time. That could've been a lot worse. It's good that you reacted so quikily too, a lot of people just freeze in situations like that. Way to be!

The next step after fixing it is to find out what exactly the culpret was. It takes quite a bit of heat to ignite oil, so I'm guessing it puked on the exhaust, or turbine housing or something. The valve covers don't get hot enough to ignited oil...trust me I know.
Thanks....I know I am extremely lucky that things worked out the way they did.

I wonder if the breather cap was saturated enough that it dripped oil onto the manifold?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man it takes alot of heat to get oil to burn.. Nice work on putting the fire out...
Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

You're one lucky guy to catch that. Still, sorry that it happened.

I don't know enough to know if this is relavant, but a lot of diesel guys re-route their pcv to keep oil out of the intake manifold. From what I have read, most of them route a tube from the valve cover down the firewall and actually put a breather down on the frame.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66728

I'm sure there's other ways to do it too. I'm about useless when it come to the forced induction stuff.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM
High on diesel fumes

I've eliminated the PCV system as the source of my oil burning problem, so the PCV system is going back on anyway. Funny thing is that I was planning on putting it back on that night before this happened but never got around to it. Guess I should have made some time!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

****!!!

Well the good thing about the pcv system is it will pull air through the breather at idle and cruise and help keep the oil saturation level down. Just make sure you have a check valve on it. I had the thin, basically sticky backed thick alum foil, exhaust wrap on all my rubber and plastic componenets under the hood near the turbo. 1/4 of my overflow tank was covered in it. You can get it at most parts stores in the exhaust section. Get you a blanket on that thing ASAP.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whew nice save. i need to get an extinguisher.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
****!!!

Well the good thing about the pcv system is it will pull air through the breather at idle and cruise and help keep the oil saturation level down. Just make sure you have a check valve on it. I had the thin, basically sticky backed thick alum foil, exhaust wrap on all my rubber and plastic componenets under the hood near the turbo. 1/4 of my overflow tank was covered in it. You can get it at most parts stores in the exhaust section. Get you a blanket on that thing ASAP.
I'm going to ditch the breather altogether and just run the standard oil cap. No more open source to the oil.

Quick Reply: Truck almost burned.....