Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Truck finished for now... Question though

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Truck finished for now... Question though

I finally have all the mods in signature installed and truck runs like magic, perfect daily driver, not a race truck. Headers have not caused any seat of pants loss in bottom end, so I'm happy. Still has big fat low rpm power and throttle response which I like.
Question is, I have an up to date OTC snanner at work and I want to log some stuff to see how it's really running. I put in 93 octane tune with Hypertech but am running 87 gas, I want to see if pcm is sensing knock and pulling timing.
What should I look for in logging and under what driving conditions, wot, constant speed, acceleration etc.
What timing , iat, kr etc are considered optimum for performance. What else should I look for , the scanner will check about anything.
Give me some guidelines and I'll check it all and report back.
By the way, the shackles are great and take the harshness out of the rear springs and dropped the rear 1", makes it sit about level.

David
Old 08-11-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

During part throttle you Long Term Fuel Trims(LTFT or L-trims) should be 0 or slightly negative. A positive Ltrim mean you are running lean and the computer is tring to compensate. You shouldn't have that problem with the headers though since they normally make you run a little richer. At WOT, you should look for any KR and your total timing should be in the mid 20's. O2's should be from .890-.920. This is not a very accurate way to see how lean/rich you are running but lower numbers are leaner, higher are richer. This is a good start to see basicly how the truck is running.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Truck addict

good info kenny, i was always wondering what the numbers meant + or - as in lean or rich. I just knew about where they should be. I think my truck is running lean on me.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

anymore info..
Old 08-13-2004, 06:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BigKID
During part throttle you Long Term Fuel Trims(LTFT or L-trims) should be 0 or slightly negative. A positive Ltrim mean you are running lean and the computer is tring to compensate. You shouldn't have that problem with the headers though since they normally make you run a little richer. At WOT, you should look for any KR and your total timing should be in the mid 20's. O2's should be from .890-.920. This is not a very accurate way to see how lean/rich you are running but lower numbers are leaner, higher are richer. This is a good start to see basicly how the truck is running.
As long as the l-trims are not maxed, (+25) you should be running right at 14.7-1 (perfect for part throttle). The computer is compensating to get it perfect. So you're not actually running lean.

Byt yes, you should try to keep them slightly negative so when you go WOT, they go to 0 and it doesn't add fuel.