Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Truck pinging????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck pinging????

Well I'm not sure exactly if my truck is pinging or not but when accelerating slightly on the highway from 1500-1700rpm getting up to speed I notice what sounds like a pinging noise. I'm not sure though because I know the gen 3 engines are noisy. Its sounds like dropping a paperclip onto a class cup from about an inch or so up. like a real slight "click/ping?" It doesn't do it all the time though. Also I have a small hole in my MAF screen, could this be causing this or is it just my noisy gen 3 engine? I might unprogram the hypertech for a day or so and see if thats causing it. also. Can a slight intake tubing leak cause slight pinging sometimes? BTW, I run 93 octane all the time and the hypertech is programmed for 93 octane. Sorry for all the questions but this has been in the back of my mind for quite some time. Does any of you guys trucks do something like this? Thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Keep running 93 octane and set Hypertech to 87 tune.
Mine would ping at times and I set to 87 tune and it quit the ping pong thing.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

mine knocks at 87 tuning
Old 01-04-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

actually, i think the maf could cause that noise too. i descreened mine, and now the air flow is too turbulent, and that is what might be causing mine
Old 01-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

first clean the maf and see if that helps out. also that hole could be causing a false reading to. borrow a maf and see if it goes away.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do you clean the MAF? what do you use to clean it with? I've got a new MAF screen on its way. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 02denali
first clean the maf and see if that helps out. also that hole could be causing a false reading to. borrow a maf and see if it goes away.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:23 PM

Trucks have a slow PE enrichment rate and this
makes the enrichment roll on slow, with no good
reason I can see. The headers have probably
improved the breathing but your "tuner" knows
jack about that, it's meant for stock wheezers.
I say unprogram it, sell the "game boy" and get
a real tuning setup. There's a bunch of other
stuff that holds truck performance down, in the
factory program. Douche the MAF liberally with
something like CRC "QD" electrical cleaner from
Home Depot. Keep at it until the runoff doesn't
stain a white paper towel anymore. Concentrate
on the sense wires but also hose out everything
in the intake plumbing between the K&N and your
MAF, it's probably a greasy mess.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
Well I'm not sure exactly if my truck is pinging or not but when accelerating slightly on the highway from 1500-1700rpm getting up to speed I notice what sounds like a pinging noise. I'm not sure though because I know the gen 3 engines are noisy. Its sounds like dropping a paperclip onto a class cup from about an inch or so up. like a real slight "click/ping?" It doesn't do it all the time though. Also I have a small hole in my MAF screen, could this be causing this or is it just my noisy gen 3 engine? I might unprogram the hypertech for a day or so and see if thats causing it. also. Can a slight intake tubing leak cause slight pinging sometimes? BTW, I run 93 octane all the time and the hypertech is programmed for 93 octane. Sorry for all the questions but this has been in the back of my mind for quite some time. Does any of you guys trucks do something like this? Thanks
Hey, I had the exact same problem it sounds like. I was talking to a mechanic and he said to get your car hot like drive around for awhile then get under the truck and knock on the cats with a wrench. I did this to mine and it was the same sound I had been hearing, I guess the honeycomb is falling apart. IDK how old your cats are but mine have 166k through them so I guess it's time for them to go.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
actually, i think the maf could cause that noise too. i descreened mine, and now the air flow is too turbulent, and that is what might be causing mine
If you descreened your maf and got that noise it is probably pinging, a lot of people have had that problem after descreening because the maf isn't able to properly measure all the air going through it after it is descreened
Old 01-05-2005, 05:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maximumrebel1
Hey, I had the exact same problem it sounds like. I was talking to a mechanic and he said to get your car hot like drive around for awhile then get under the truck and knock on the cats with a wrench. I did this to mine and it was the same sound I had been hearing, I guess the honeycomb is falling apart. IDK how old your cats are but mine have 166k through them so I guess it's time for them to go.
Clogged cats usually cause power loss but usually don't cause pinging

Quick Reply: Truck pinging????