Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

truck turbo kit anybody heard of this kit????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: truck turbo kit anybody heard of this kit????

Putting a torch on the turbo won't make it spin, obviously. However, in exhaust, there are 3 basic components....The gasses themselves, exhaust pulses and heat energy. If you were to compare a camshaft for a n/a engine with a "turbo" grind for the same engine, you would see that there is usually some more overlap with the turbo cam so some of the fuel can be burned later in the combustion cycle after the exhaust valve is opened. When this happens, heat is produced and the super-heated gasses need to expand, (energy) which will spin the turbine, (the same energy moves a piston down it's cylinder in an internal combustion engine.

Basically, it looks as if they downsized the turbine side of the turbo to compensate for the reduced amount of energy available.

Boost with a turbo is NOT indicative of engine rpm. A given engine and turbo combination can have full boost @ 2500 rpm through 6000 rpm, for example. This is dependant on the combo., tuning, wastegate actuation, etc.

At idle, the engine will be operating in vacuum. There will be complete "boost" loos and then some, (vacuum).

Also, if there is a blow-off valve, there will be no "surging"

And finally, that picture that they have on their site to scare everyone of that bright, glowing orange turbo can very easilly be just a time-lapse photo of a turbocharger taken under dark conditions. Not a big deal. Or, it could be a regular picture on a engine that has been running hard for quite some time on an engine dyno (possible an engine for a Bonneville vehicle) or an engine with a poor tune.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for clarifying your statement kwkshift....I think we see the same points but are looking at them from two different angles

assuming that total boost IS lost at idle (which is believable) STS is claiming full boost by 3000rpm....that means the turbo has to spool up FAST which means a fairly small diameter exhaust turbine combined with a small diameter exhaust inlet to speed up exhaust flow....that combo is going to limit upper rpm boost because as the engine spins faster it wants more air, if the turbo is already at max exhaust flow capacity at 5000rpm it will be unable to flow more exhaust at higher rpm which in turn will make the intake side unable to create a pressurized intake tract at higher rpm because the intake impeller speed is maxed out relative to compressor efficiency.
It would be like me running a single hybrid T3/T4 to power my 6.0...I would have mad boost at idle because I would have maxed out the impeller speed just idling...by 3000rpm the turbo would become a SEROIUS bottlneck (MUCH more so that it already is) because impeller speed would be so high it could not compress efficiently and power would drop off dramatically.
STS has sized the exhaust impeller to provide good low-to mid-rpm power...even their g-tech graphs are showing a drop-off at about 5300rpm, once you get above that point the turbo is spinning so fast it can't compress air efficiently enough to be of any more benefit to power production. at that point...even though the power output is still higher that you would have NA the dropoff is going to be pretty dramatic.

Old 10-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Banned

WERD!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Which one of us was that directed at Slow ???
Old 10-13-2003, 06:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget about the waste gate, i agree the turbo is going to be small to work but it doesn't have to become a huge restriction. once it is up to speed any excess exhaust goes around the turbo.

i think it would work great for a mild aplication. by the way they get rid of the muffler completely.

did you guys look at this chart? http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/Turbo..._Small_ezr.jpg

they have turbos that will flow some air, i wish that chart started lower but they wanted to avoid down shifting.

Old 10-13-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

y'know...the one point that I didn't make.......for that kind of money I will buy a Whipple or Kenne Belle !!!
Old 10-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

For anybody interested, we've got a "real" turbo kit for the trucks coming out very soon.

By real, I mean it comes with a fueling system (pump, injectors, programming), intercooler, correctly sized turbo, turbo header, etc. Pricing will actually be competitive with the STS kit and include everything you need to put the kit on your truck, correctly and safely.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call. We're here to help.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anybody interested, we've got a "real" turbo kit for the trucks coming out very soon.

By real, I mean it comes with a fueling system (pump, injectors, programming), intercooler, correctly sized turbo, turbo header, etc. Pricing will actually be competitive with the STS kit and include everything you need to put the kit on your truck, correctly and safely.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call. We're here to help.
WTF!!!! of course we are interested, can't you tell? i would buy a convential turbo set up today if there was a kit out there. email on the way
Old 10-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

parish8 - I beat ya to it. :p PM has already been sent.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe we've been left hang'n like that. :

cmotorsports - Why don't you start a new thread on your soon to be turbo kit. I'm sure there will be a TON on interest.

Quick Reply: truck turbo kit anybody heard of this kit????