Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

True dual exhaust guys running magnaflow mufflers, can you come on in here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonoma43
Sound? What sound? with all those mufflers and those nice long mufflers there will not be any sound coming from your truck!
Oh it'll have plenty of deep sound, trust me
Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tig
Are you just replacing from the mufflers back?
I think you'll be happy with that set up.

I was going with something similar. But, with the "help" of my wife I have decided to go with a 12568 DI/DO muffler. Its a bit larger but with the headers new cats and 2.5" tubing it should sound good, that and being an SUV I dont want any drone inside the cab. I dont want to drive my family nuts, lol.
I'm doing full 3" exhaust from the headers back. It's just figuring out the 2 largest magnaflows I can get to fit side by side in the area where the stock muffler used to hang. I'm going to take some measurements today but by no means am I an ehaust guy I have no idea what kind of bends can be made or how mufflers can be positioned to make fit.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

3" will sound good.
You shouldnt have a problem fitting those mufflers in the stock location. The stock muffler is humungous compared to the Maggys.
I'll be taking some measurements this week for final prep on my system. Thats the best part fitting everything together, hah. Its not as bad as it seems, as long as you have the material.
Are you doing this yourself?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

My exhaust guy is going to do it, but he doesn't stock any magnaflow stuff. He has to order it. He doesn't want to order anything he doesn't think he can sell so I don't blame him. I'm going to provide him with the resonators but he's going to order the mufflers.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i tried fitting some 22s in my single cab and they didnt fit. a single 22 fits fine because it is laying done so to say with only 5 inches tall. dual 22s next to each other will be 11 inches high and there are some across braces that will not allow them to fit is what i discovered. my buddy was running the 18 inch long ones and those fit in between the across braces. he ran maganflow 3 inch dual but with the x-pipe and it sounded great, not too loud but not quiet either. good luck, rob.

Last edited by low2001gmc; 05-24-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see some pics if anyone was able to squeeze what Joe's planning under there, seems like it's doable, but every inch from the y-pipe back will be utilized. I mocked up my set up with an 18" Magnaflow (single 3"), and a cutout dump pipe, and it just fit...but this is after a little length of pipe from the Gibson cat back that I will be re-using...
Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stock headers, stock cats with no y pipe. "true duals" to 2- 2.5" Maganflow maganpacks on my rcsb 5.3. No tailpipes as I have them TURN DOWN. Plenty of room around them. I actually had some knockoff mufflers turn vertical under there and was plenty of room then too. It was that way when I bought it. I changed it out yesterday. VIDEO TO FOLLOW
Old 05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me ask you guys this quick, from the cab BACK - Do the 2wd trucks and 4wd trucks use the same frame/chassis other than springs/lift blocks? The reason I ask is my dad has an '02 RCSB 4x4 truck that I could bring into the exhaust shop and use that for measuring, then I could return a couple of days later with my truck to get the exhaust done. Sorry if I seem like I'm making a big fuss out of this guys, but the exhaust shop I'm using is over 60 miles away. I don't feel like driving 60 miles back and forth with open headers 3 times just to be measured for mufflers. If I took my dad's 02 truck in, would that be accurate for measuring? (frame and chassis the same from the cab back?)
Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you've got more room than you think. here's a pic of true duals w/ X and large case Magnaflows.
Attached Thumbnails True dual exhaust guys running magnaflow mufflers, can you come on in here?-nov-08-004.jpg   True dual exhaust guys running magnaflow mufflers, can you come on in here?-picture-026.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have pretty much what ur thinking about - altho I did put a X-over on. Both exit out the rear. I gutted my cats, and its pretty loud (see my photobucket...there's a short clip of a burn out, and another idle). My mufflers arent sidexside tho, I had them staggered. That said, I might change it once I get the rest of my current bugs sorted out. R/

Quick Reply: True dual exhaust guys running magnaflow mufflers, can you come on in here?